Alcohol Soluble Compounds in Pipe Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Just throwing this out there. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing. Plus I do tend to enjoy a drink at inappropriate times. (Can't drink all day if I don't start early...)

So I have noticed what I can currently only describe extra flavor in my smoke when I take a puff right after, or very shortly after, swallowing my drink. I typically drink straight spirits neat and at room temperature. I'm not sure if the alcohol is unlocking something not detectable otherwise or if it's simply amplifying some of the more subtle background flavors my particular palate doesn't normally notice.

Thoughts?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just throwing this out there. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing. Plus I do tend to enjoy a drink at inappropriate times. (Can't drink all day if I don't start early...)

So I have noticed what I can currently only describe extra flavor in my smoke when I take a puff right after, or very shortly after, swallowing my drink. I typically drink straight spirits neat and at room temperature. I'm not sure if the alcohol is unlocking something not detectable otherwise or if it's simply amplifying some of the more subtle background flavors my particular palate doesn't normally notice.

Thoughts?
I’d say you’re tasting the drink.
or damaging the shit out if your mucous membranes by drinking liquor and smoking?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I’d say you’re tasting the drink.
or damaging the shit out if your mucous membranes by drinking liquor and smoking?
Brobs, could you expand upon this idea a bit? I wonder if new smokers might benefit by understanding the deleterious effects of smoking and alcohol. We all know that smoking is not exactly a healthy habit, but anything that we can provide people in terms of knowledge around this might help people to make the best choices for themselves.

Reactions: SoliDeoGloria

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s opening up your palate in some way. My palate “opener” is anything with Latakia. I can be smoking a VA that just tastes like nothing but once I pair it with a pipe that I’ve filled with a Lat blend it completely opens up my senses and I’m able to taste all of the subtitles and nuances of said Virginia blend. I came upon this by accident after reading an article by Tad Gage (I believe). The article was about how he always smokes two pipes at one time. I decided to try it. I smoked Exotique in one pipe and Escudo in another. Well, after about 5 minutes of sipping on Exotique, I picked up my pipe with Escudo and the Heavens just opened up, I was amazed out how much I was tasting whereas before it was just tasting like, well, smoke to me. Anyway, I’ve been smoking pipes in tandem ever since. I wouldn’t be surprised if a beverage could have the same affect on your palate. I’ve experimented with drinks (I don’t drink alcohol) but nothing has worked even remotely as well as Latakia, it just completely opens or awakens my senses and allows me to actually taste what I’m smoking. It’s the strangest thing but like is strange and it works for me, so if this works for you, keep at it... just try not to get too wasted.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Brobs, could you expand upon this idea a bit? I wonder if new smokers might benefit by understanding the deleterious effects of smoking and alcohol. We all know that smoking is not exactly a healthy habit, but anything that we can provide people in terms of knowledge around this might help people to make the best choices for themselves.
Alcohol removes the protective coating of the mouth. Then you smoke directly on the membrane. I suppose it could bring out flavor as your palate may be more “fresh”.. but there is no mucous to protect your mouth.

Reactions: kschatey

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Alcohol removes the protective coating of the mouth. Then you smoke directly on the membrane. I suppose it could bring out flavor as your palate may be more “fresh”.. but there is no mucous to protect your mouth.
I definitely had read something about that in terms of smoking and health. Thanks for that clarification.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Learn something new everyday. I only really smoke ciggs when I'm drinking. Seems like I need to stop that ?

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Hey Shanez,
I think that in order to test your hypothesis, you might enjoy some blind testing. It would be a fun experiment to build and test, at least. How often will you be able to review unknown blends for science?