PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Perhaps since the discussion of Haram / Halal tobacco use is not quite to the point of this post, if the parties wished to continue, a new thread could be started, if that's within the rules? I'm really enjoying reading along regarding alcohol flavorings and the religious discussion, and would hate to see the thread close, discontinuing both topics.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don't know how allowing this forum is for such discussion as it can very easily get heated should one or both parties lose their cool, but it's always nice to gain a better understanding of other peoples' views and ways of life.
If I see someone losing the control (including myself), I will disappear as fast as the Road Runner.
roadrunner-theodysseyonline-com.gif

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
I think I speak on behalf of everyone in saying that we have deviated from the intended topic of discussion. In order to remain well within the scope of the subject in hand and the forum rules, I propose that we cease posting any religiously oriented messages and stick to the thread's main theme. We may eventually reprise, with the permission of the forum's administrators, the subject of tobacco consumption in religion in a separate thread.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Perhaps since the discussion of Haram / Halal tobacco use is not quite to the point of this post, if the parties wished to continue, a new thread could be started, if that's within the rules? I'm really enjoying reading along regarding alcohol flavorings and the religious discussion, and would hate to see the thread close, discontinuing both topics.
I hope everyone, mainly MSO, can forgive me for stealing the thread. People here have already seen that I never get into hot debates or political discussions and I checked the forum rules before making any comments regarding the religion. We can move the issue to another thread for sure, only if you open a new thread LMB :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No problem, jv'. These threads go where they go. There ain't no drum majors on Forums.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I suspect that extracts are used for the bulk of rum/whisky flavourings, as they are more effective at flavouring the tobacco (only the stable flavour components are added, rather than the water that comprises ~60% of real booze).
The manufacturers who claim to use real booze likely do, but I'm guessing it's in addition to extracts. Like mawnan says, just to stay "legal".
But even extracts use alcohol as a carrier of the flavour, so avoiding "natural" flavourings for religious reasons won't keep you away from alcohol necessarily.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Deniz, you are welcome.
That website has lots of information. Just type "tobacco" in the search box. This will give you few hundred results, then using the links you can check the ingredients of pipe tobacco blends, cigars, cigarettes, etc.
and a few hold "gummi arabicum" ...why would they add this?
According to our lovely forum member woodsroad:
Gum Arabic is an adhesive/binder. It glues the layers of tobacco leaf together to form a solid block that can then be sliced thin without falling apart.
The issue was discussed here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/whats-americas-most-popular-us-made-straight-va-flake

Status
Not open for further replies.