PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, so the answers to this one are proprietary, so all we can do is guess. The question is, when aromatic pipe tobacco blends feature alcoholic beverages such as rum, whiskey, liqueurs, etc., as the aromatic flavoring component, are those products actually used, or is it something related, like byproduct of brewing or distilling, or are these flavors approximated through the miracles of chemistry, as is often true of fragrances? rrftr6, says the cat. What's your guess or surmise?

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I would think you get what you pay. I can imagine a value tobacco using a lesser flavoring. While a premium label using premium ingredients. I do know I really enjoy tobaccos that have the spirits as flavoring. Black Frigate, Prembroke, Cellar, and Sextant are some of my favorites.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate, Prembroke, Cellar, and Sextant
I'll add Bothy Flake, Salty Dogs, Blockade Runner, Navigator, and Stave Aged. All with the real thing. Though the only aros in either list are Cellar and Pembroke.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some manufacturers claim that 'genuine' rum, whiskey, sherry etc is used in some of their blends and those that make such claims likely do use some 'genuine' rum, whiskey etc but I'll wager it's a tiny amount just so as to make the statement legal. I reckon the bulk is actually chemical flavourings.
Just my opinion of course :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Solani 131 comes "with a touch of single malt Scotch Whiskey", and is reviewed favorably by JimInks and PipeStud.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1694/solani-131-red-label

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Okay, so the answers to this one are proprietary, so all we can do is guess. The question is, when aromatic pipe tobacco blends feature alcoholic beverages such as rum, whiskey, liqueurs, etc., as the aromatic flavoring component, are those products actually used, or is it something related, like byproduct of brewing or distilling, or are these flavors approximated through the miracles of chemistry, as is often true of fragrances? rrftr6, says the cat. What's your guess or surmise?
That would actually be a very useful statement to ascertain. Being a Muslim, I steer clear of any tobacco flavoured with alcoholic beverages. Whether it's the real deal or just flavouring, I can't take the risk. I did contact however a number of manufacturers that did confirm the use of genuine liquor when producing such blends. Such would be the case with C&D and by extension GL Pease.
Check out this video (fast forward to 15:20) by Public Piper on his tour of C&D's factory. It clearly shows their use of alcoholic drinks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5jnNvwggkI&feature=youtu.be

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
"In view of the harm caused by tobacco, growing, trading in and smoking of tobacco are judged to be haram (forbidden). The Prophet, peace be upon him, is reported to have said, 'Do not harm yourselves or others.' Furthermore, tobacco is unwholesome, and God says in the Qur'an that the Prophet, peace be upon him, 'enjoins upon them that which is good and pure, and forbids them that which is unwholesome'" (Permanent Committee of Academic Research and Fatwa, Saudi Arabia).

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
I thought tobacco itself was haram?
"In view of the harm caused by tobacco, growing, trading in and smoking of tobacco are judged to be haram (forbidden). The Prophet, peace be upon him, is reported to have said, 'Do not harm yourselves or others.' Furthermore, tobacco is unwholesome, and God says in the Qur'an that the Prophet, peace be upon him, 'enjoins upon them that which is good and pure, and forbids them that which is unwholesome'" (Permanent Committee of Academic Research and Fatwa, Saudi Arabia).
It is perhaps worth mentioning that the use of tobacco has created a debate among scholars that lasts to this day. Being a phenomenon that surfaced after the death of the Prophet PBUH (Prophet dies in 7th century AD and tobacco emerges in late 15th century AD), there is no definitive ruling on the matter. However, the main reason stated by Islamic scholars with regard to the forbbidance of tobacco is that it harms the body. And anything that causes damage to one is prohibited.
That however is subject to further pondering. In that same mindset, one can also assume that eating unhealthy foods is haram given that doing so has a direct negative effect on one's physiology (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, ...etc). However, junk food isn't restricted at all. As such, it all comes down to how you make use of things and for what purpose. For instance, I smoke a pipe in order to relax and enjoy the taste of tobacco, which benefits my body more than harming it. And the proof lies in the fact that I can stop smoking for months without desperately needing a dose of nicotine, and that I never forcefully smoke when sick or slightly under the weather. Smoking therefore rids me of stress, puts me in a good mood and brings me sheer joy. All of which contribute to prolongating my life.
Some things, on the other hand, are unarguably prohibited for being either detrimental to your health or causing more damage than good. Drugs is an example of the former and alcohol of the latter. The Quran actually states that alcohol has many benefits. However, its drawbacks far exceed its advantages.
I hope that can afford a clear explanation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tobacco use goes back much, much further than that.
http://westerndigs.org/ice-age-hunting-camp-replete-with-bird-bones-and-tobacco-found-in-utah-desert/

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Don't worry...each Muslim decides for himself what he think is haram and whats helal and what not depending on his mood..! I know it, half of my family is turkish.. ok, but this is not the place for this topic!
Dear Deniz, that might be the case in your family. However I can assure you that the rest of us are very careful to adhere to the teachings of the Quran the Prophet PBUH. In religion there isn't room for whim.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Tobacco use goes back much, much further than that.
I meant its advent in Europe and the rest of the world. Of course tobacco has been used in the Americas for as long as you mention. But then again, at the time of the prophet, the continent was yet to be discovered.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been using Captain Morgan Black in my blending at home with very nice results. A very dark rum, it adds some wonderful flavor to unflavored black cavendish. I also have a bottle of Captain Morgan Special Reserve that I've been tempted to try as well, but I've been stingy with it and refuse to share it with my tobacco :rofl:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Alcohol Beverage Aro's, Real Flavoring?
Nice question MSO, another question is "Alcohol Beverages, Real Flavoring?". We live in a world in which almost everything is artificial including food, fruit juices, tobacco and even human relations. Manufacturing a fruit juice that has been pasteurized, thermized, sterilized and flavor added has more shelf life thus more cost effective. I totally agree with the idea of "you get what you pay for" as it is stated above. So let's say there are 3 different blends by different brands and all 3 have the same ingredient, rum for instance.
X blend costs $1 per oz

Y blend costs $2 per oz

Z blend costs $3 per oz
We can assume that X used artificial rum flavoring, Y used real rum with an artificial flavoring and Z used all natural rum. Is that certain? Nope. I mean we live in a world that right now some Chinese is producing fake rice or fake egg out of plastic. Fake egg goddammit. If you show it to a chicken, she will applause with her wings for sure. And then a cigar brand named Gurkha will offer you box of cigars for $15 000 because they are manufactured with 18 years old tobacco dipped into a rare Louis XIII Cognac ($2 400 a bottle) and someone will say that Gurkha cigars smoke like the burnt hair from a donkey's ball sack. Weird world. I wish everything was as simple as it was few decades ago.
And here are some flavoring agents:
Chemical - Odor

Diacetyl - Buttery

Isoamyl acetate - Banana

Cinnamic aldehyde - Cinnamon

Ethyl propionate - Fruity

Limonene - Orange

Ethyl-(E, Z)-2,4-decadienoate - Pear

Allyl hexanoate - Pineapple

Ethyl maltol - Sugar, Cotton candy

Methyl salicylate - Wintergreen

Benzaldehyde - Bitter almond

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
During my high school years, me as a non religious person was having a hot discussion with some other guys who were claiming that smoking cigarettes were not haram. Then one of the guys pointed out someone and said "Look, here comes the akhoond (title for an Islamic cleric) of the local mosque, we can ask him." While approaching us, he took a very long and deep puff from his cigarette, inhaled the smoked, flicked the cigarette and exhaled while saying "Hey guys, what's up?". This cleric said the exact thing that Ali said above, in some way tried to prove his addiction.
You can smoke a pipe or a cigarette, you can even jump off a cliff, do I care? No. Do I have any rights to judge you? Not unless your action somehow affects my life or lifestyle or health. I just don't understand the way Muslims try to prove themselves. Smoke the pipe my brother, eat the bacon, I don't care, you are the one responsible for yourself, you will be the one going to the Hell according to your own beliefs. Just don't do that "proving yourself right" thing. Smoking tobacco is HARAM in Islam. Especially if it is pleasing. If you are listening to a music or looking at a painting and having pleasure, it is haram. Someone will come and say "No, it is not the real Islam." It is my friend. If tobacco is harmful to your body and at the same time it is pleasing, then it is double haram (there is no such term as double haram, I am just trying to say that it is haram from all aspects).

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Just don't do that "proving yourself right" thing
I just call it as I see it. Religion, has its grey areas, whether it be tobacco consumption or listening to music. That is why there are different schools of teaching. The prohibition of tobacco was promulgated by certain scholars with a specific argument which can be disproved by others. As previously stated, there is no clear ruling on the matter. Furthermore, there lies no shame in explaining one's beliefs.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Funny thing is: As I'm reading this thread I'm smoking some Peterson´s Irish Whiskey (now Irish Mixture) and I'm curious if this tobacco has seen any real whiskey. I highly doubt it, as it doesnt smell, nor taste like drinking whiskey. There's just a malty and spicy (almost rum-like spice) tone to it. Anyone knows for sure?
Deniz, according to the website of The Danish Health Authority (learned the website from our forum member woodsroad some time ago) Peterson's Irish Whiskey has sugar cane syrup, propylene glycol, glycerol, potassium citrate and flavor.
LINK ( Page 8 )

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the interesting topic and information, and another thanks to the people here discussing smoking in Islam. I enjoy studying the religions of others, and being someone who is very devoted to a religious code myself, a find the subject fascinating. I don't know how allowing this forum is for such discussion as it can very easily get heated should one or both parties lose their cool, but it's always nice to gain a better understanding of other peoples' views and ways of life.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Ali, first of all let me thank you for your patience and I totally praise your debate skills. Most of the Muslims would have sworn at me and threatened me by now.
Religion, has its grey areas
Grey areas, that's where the problem starts from and different schools of teaching and cults and wars and ...
Furthermore, there lies no shame in explaining one's beliefs.
Nobody has the right to judge you based on your beliefs. However if we are discussing an issue I try to find the logic behind your ideas. If you just say that it's your religion and you have to act accordingly, I will pass and continue talking about ideal moisture of the blends or packing methods on other threads. If you try to convince me or someone that something forbidden in your religion is forbidden just because of its harm, sorry but I have to jump in.
The Quran actually states that alcohol has many benefits. However, its drawbacks far exceed its advantages.
From a scientific point, that's not true. Alcohol, if consumed moderately will relax you and put you in a good mood and won't have more harm than tobacco. So does that make it halal? Alcohol was not prohibited because it was harmful, but because people were drinking and going to the mosque and interrupting the speeches of Prophet Muhammed and their smell was disturbing others. If it was thought to be harmful, it should have been prohibited in the 1st year of Islam not later.

Status
Not open for further replies.