PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I've bought several pipes from them and my experience has been the same. They carry pipes from makers that you can't get in the U.S. The price isn't the best deal especially after shipping then an additional $25 bill from FedEx that comes a week later but when it's a pipe that I can't live without it's worth it to me. Their customer service is top notch.

Aug 14, 2012
Troutface: You will get a bill from Fedex for about $20 + 3 1/2% US import tax. But you save the 20% European value added tax.

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, mine was $20 plus our 13% HST. Still, nothing unique to Al Pascia. My new Walt Cannoy pipe just came in and I got hammered for duty on that. I have ordered pipes from SP before and have ALWAYS got hammered there as well, even if sent via mail. Alas, I have tax fatigue, but what are you going to do?

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
So, is Al Pascia that much less expensive than the US vendors?

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Yes Al Pascia is great all around IMO, prices, website & service, I ordered my pipe on a Monday night and received it early Wensday, funny thing, heres the pipe I ordered :)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s498/Devildigger/a54ef1bb-abd2-4b06-b15e-e971b39d5239_zps2b07e05a.jpg

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
When we talk about buying pipes from Italy, I reccomend Moretti. I think it's unique when you buy a pipe straight from the pipe master. Marco Biagini is super-nice guy, it's a pleasure to deal with him.
And no, I do not get any interest payments from him :)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Don't go blaming Al Pascia for what your country charges you for excise tax, shipping tax, import fees, duty...etc. I'm a Yank living in Canada and am just used to getting bent over on shipping on anything from anywhere.

blacksmith

Lurker
Apr 7, 2013
Al Pascia, well, I bought my first pipe there, right in their shop in Milan and I can only agree with you. I'm glad you found them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've purchased several pipes from Al Pascia, and I have nothing but praise for their prices and service.

The fastest turn around time from Milan to Chicago was 33 hours from mouse click to door bell ring!

bpipes

Lurker
Jul 20, 2014
Boston, MA
I was not lucky. Ordered a beautiful Mastro Gepetto that arrived in two days... at Fedex place.

After that, the pipe got stuck there for two weeks! I contacted Alpascia, they said that they provided all the documents the carrier asked to release the package.

They finally delivered, but a few days later I received an invoice, charging me almost 27%, (30.81). What surprised me more was that 20.00 is for "U.S. Food & Drug Admin Processing Fee"

So I think they declared something wrong that lead to Food & drug administration. Any guess?

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The FDA believes it has the authority to regulate pipes now so that sounds like a new fee to help pay for their oversight.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I’m in the same boat. It all began when I returned an unused pipe to Al Pascia. (The initial pipe arrived to menin less than three days.) It took nearly three weeks to return; it was held up in Italian customs. Anyway, I finally exchanged the pipe, but then my new pipe got caught up in American customs in Newark. Said the “description was insufficient to classify the commodity.” I emailed Al Pascia who said they were on top of it. Then I emailed customs at FedEx who said they would release my package. It’s now in transit and scheduled to arrive at my home tomorrow by 3:00 pm (fingers crossed). Not looking forward to getting that bill.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I should add that Al Pascia has stellar customer service and excellent prices. I’ve purchased a half dozen pipes from them and will continue to give them my business.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think customs is all screwed up lately. I ordered a Doxa wristwatch from Austria last month. It was also held for "description insufficient". Doxa pays the fees for US purchases, so here's hoping I don't get a 30% bill for that watch!
Also last month, I sent a Chris Asteriou to Greece. It was held at US Customs in Newark, then returned to me in Maryland. The explanation was "Tobacco products not allowed to be shipped to the destination country". I had it listed as a "Tobacco Briar Pipe". They didn't open the package, just returned it to me. So, I had to pay another $20 to ship to Greece. I'm done selling anything out of the country.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
My guess is with all the new tariffs, customs is under significant pressure to look for packages that may be using product descriptions as a way to try to get around tariffs.
jojoc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They should have much bigger fish to fry than a single pipe shipped to Greece!
Maybe using the description: "Wood and plastic arts craft".

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That one didnt go too well all round as I got done 23% tax plus 20 euro processing charge by Greek Customs when it arrived here

.It was still a good deal buying from Al as he is always fair with his prices

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I hate to read about this. I was looking through Al Pascia site and fell in love with some of his stock. However; there is no way that I will chance a 23% or more bill in the mail. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.