PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Im looking for opinions on AKB and IMP meerschaum pipes.

AKB and IMP are the main meerschaum pipe brands on SP. The have some nice products, but I dont know much about the companies. Any insights and opinions on quality would be appreciated.

Also I know its been mentioned several times, but I cant find the threads: recommended meerschaum carvers that do commission work. Embers has mentioned some carvers by name several times.

As always thanks for the information.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can't go wrong with IMP, or AKB. IMP is a workshop of carvers, and AKB is a distributor of independent carvers both offering great pipes. As far as commission work, I can't think of any meerschaum carvers that don't take them.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just ordered an AKB back in February. I returned it for an IMP. In short, I’m very happy with the IMP, there were two flaws on the AKB that I couldn’t get passed.

1. A large scratch on the stem (deep).

2. When I put a pipe cleaner in it, I discovered that it was drilled too far back, so where the cleaners tip should have emerged where the drafthole meets the chamber, it kept going. So, by site it looked okay but the draft was too deep and drilled underneath the chamber, exposing what looked like a well drilled pipe but infact, was not. It would have gurgled, no doubt.

The IMP is flawless.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't have a pipe from either company, so I can't give a fair opinion, but I've always wanted an IMP. I like the look of a classic/smooth pipe in meerschaum form, and they do a great job of that. Their pipes are always very expensive though. At least for my pipe budget.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't have a pipe from either company, so I can't give a fair opinion, but I've always wanted an IMP. I like the look of a classic/smooth pipe in meerschaum form, and they do a great job of that. Their pipes are always very expensive though. At least for my pipe budget.
The went up $40-$150 in just the past year alone.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Knowing who the carver was could help eliminate repeat purchases. They distribute several artisans work.
Good point. It was a Tekin. Which, I heard great things about this carver, so no judgement but I was very surprised that pipe got passed quality control. Otherwise it was very beautiful billiard.

Either way, you are safe ordering from Smokingpipes. It was just a practice in patience.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know... it's driving me crazy!!! Maybe I'll sell off some of my lesser smoked Meerschaums, and buy an IMP at some point. Lord knows I don't have enough time to smoke all the ones I do have anyways.
I sent a big chunk of mine in as trade for a Von Erck. I think I'm just going to trend toward large estate meers and Kenans.

Reactions: metalheadycigarguy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Good point. It was a Tekin. Which, I heard great things about this carver, so no judgement but I was very surprised that pipe got passed quality control. Otherwise it was very beautiful billiard.

Either way, you are safe ordering from Smokingpipes. It was just a practice in patience.
Could've been damaged in transit.

Reactions: hawky454
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State

I have two pipes by Tekin, my Lion and Claw and my Dragon bent apple, and they're both great smoking pipes. The carving is amazing as well. Very weird that one of his would have problems like that, but I guess we all can't be perfect all the time.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Could've been damaged in transit.
It was in that nice hard case though. I was willing to look passed the scratch too, I was already working out ways to buff it out myself, which, as deep as the scratch was would have taken a lot of effort, I’ll say maybe, maybe that happened in transit but the drilling certainly didn’t. Could have been a flaw in the Meerschaum? Possibly. I wouldn’t write off Tekin or AKB because of it. That extra $100 for an IMP. Just didn’t look so bad after the first $250 was already spent. Haha.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have two pipes by Tekin, my Lion and Claw and my Dragon bent apple, and they're both great smoking pipes. The carving is amazing as well. Very weird that one of his would have problems like that, but I guess we all can't be perfect all the time.
Yeah, I possibly shouldn’t have brought this up, it happens to high end, low end and everything in between from time to time. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one from AKB/Tekin. In fact, I probably will get one eventually.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yeah, I possibly shouldn’t have brought this up, it happens to high end, low end and everything in between from time to time. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one from AKB/Tekin. In fact, I probably will get one eventually.
No harm in bringing it up. The best carvers all have hiccups from time to time. It could have been an issue with the block and wasn't realized by Tekin when making the pipe.

I'm sure SPC and AKB might be a little embarrassed that the quality control wasn't better when observing the pipe. Not sure if SPC will return it to AKB or sell it as an estate, but if it had that bad of scratch in it, it shouldn't have gone out the door for full price. Glad you got an awesome IMP to enjoy!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have an IMP - great quality pipe.

I commissioned a pipe via Altinok and it's a work of art. No idea who the specific carver was. Still haven't smoked it, wasn't in love with the stem and still need to send it to Briarville - it got all the way here from Turkey and I'm still afraid to trust it to the mail, lol. Just need to get it in the box and go to the P.O. ----- inertia . . . . .

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I have one of each, both purchased from Smoking Pipes USA.
The carving on both is about equal and the meerschaum seems to be of about the same quality.
If I'm honest, they are about the same to me. I couldn't tell the IMP from the AKB unless I looked at the stamps.

I think you'd be fine with either one. Just my .02

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I have one of each and the fit and finish on the IMP is superior but they both smoke great. I’d go with the shape that speaks to you and has the right dimensions you’re looking for. SP has a great return policy if you discover any issues prior to smoking it so you get that piece of mind too