PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Meanwhile I have about three estates on which the airpassage into the bowl is kind of overdrilled. What I mean is that because of drilling too far into the bowl it forms a cavitiy in the bottom of the bowl which leaves not too much wood underneath. Is this considered a problem? Should I fill up this cavity with pipe mud or something similar?

I read a few resto reports where plaster of paris was used. Will this stick to the bruyere even when getting hot? What about fireplace or oven putty? Could this stuff taste a bit "funny" when the pipe is smoked? :?:

Jun 4, 2014
I would see how they smoke first. My best smoker has less then perfect drilling. If you going to attempt to fill in the cavity I would stick to pipe mud.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
When you say over drilled, is that the same thing as low draft hole? If so I have a few pipes that are lower on the hole and they smoke fine. One of my favorite pipe brands is Boswell and many of their holes are alittle on the low side.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Many times if an airway reamer (basically a blunted drill bit) is used in the restoration process, and it goes a bit beyond the draft hole, it will leave a small channel aligned with the airway. This is no problem as soon as cake builds in the bottom. If a regular drill bit chucked in a power drill was used, it WILL gouge the bottom of the bowl and this CAN be a problem. A lot of times if there's a circular mark right at the bottom of the chamber, a Senior Pipe Reamer was used a bit aggressively. This again CAN be a problem if you re-break the pipe in from the bottom up ( big no-no in my book ) or are adamant about relighting that little bit of baccy at the bottom of the bowl instead of dumping it out. Running a pipe cleaner right after a smoke against the back or the bottom of a warm chamber will also, over time, create a dimple there. And we all know that baccy juice also eats away at the chamber, one tiny bit at the time, so an old pipe that has seen a lot of action will also have an uneven, thinner chamber.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I have a couple of pipes with low draft holes. It does not affect the smoke but I don't really like the little trench at the bottom of the bowl.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Thank you Gentlemen! That´s good news for me as I don´t want to mess around with anything inside the bowl if not necessary.

Another possible material that came to mind anyhow was the coating material we european like so much. I have a coating kit here that consists of charcoal powder and presumably sodium silicate. I could imagine that a thick mixture/compound of it would do as well.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Thank you for the vid papipeguy! Seems that you can´t go wrong with pip mud and that it will harden out nicely. I guess I give it a go with one of my pipes.

The guy mentioned to use ash from a quality cigar so now I can make up my mind what cigar to smoke next. :mrgreen: I think my "Feral Flying Pig" will do nicely..... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.