PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey guys, for those who have a smoking room that isn't the shed at the other end of the lawn, have you "smoke-proofed" it in some fashion ?

We have recently moved into a new house and yay, I have an office ... (shared kinda) but still, mostly my room (she lets me believe it) ... I am thinking of putting my foot down and smoke in it, but I'd like to find a way to reduce the wandering odours. What have you guys done ?

I had a post 3-4 years ago about installing a cigar room quality ventilation system with just a little 6" ducting and a powerful but affordable in-line electric fan, and a wall mounted rheostat to control the speed. It empties my large livingroom of smoke at over ten times per minute. I can set and smoke with my family while watching TV, and never is there any lingering smoke in the air.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/an-vent-system-for-pipecigar-smokers-on-the-cheap

The images that I made to show how easy this is to make were ruined when photofuckit started charging... sorry. But, it is really easy, with an elementary understating of electricity.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thanks Cosmic for that. I checked your old post, it is indeed seemingly easy to do. Beside the fact the I'll have to drill holes in my rented house's walls ... let's check that with the land lady ... she's nice :D haha

Thanks again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sure wouldn't seal the room off, but go for increased ventilation, to the outdoors if necessary. You don't want to get sealed up with the smoke or without the smoke. Better to have some airflow all around.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If you have two windows available, and no whole house HVAC return vent in the proposed smoking room, the following may work for you: a box fan in one window blowing to the outside while the other window is open to allow incoming fresh air. A piece of cardboard can be used to fill the remaining opening of the window not covered by the box fan. I also used a strip of thick AC filler foam st fill in gaps between the cardboard and fan. Thin weather strip around sides and header of door frame and a towel or old shirt tucked under the door bottom.
I just tried this setup at home this weekend and the family said they couldn't smell tobacco smoke outside the room.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Two key issues - some method of creating negative air pressure in the smoking room so that when the door is opened, air is pulled into the room rather than out of the room into the rest of the house. The in-line vent fans are great and fairly easy to install. The are quiet and can move a serious amount of air. Second issue is to make sure that there is no air intake vents in the room that feed into a central HVAC system. If there is, you need to seal that off or you will be blowing smoke throughout the house. However, sealing off air intake vents may also effect the efficiency and operation of the HVAC system, so proceed with caution.
If you live in a moderate zone, a simple window fan may create sufficient to move smoke out and create the necessary negative air pressure to prevent migration into the house. Most homes (especially older ones)breath enough that you do not necessarily need two windows.
On a side note - if you use a vented fan system and do not live in a moderate zone, you will be sucking your heated/cooled air out of the house and drawing in the untreated hot/cold air from outside. The reality of negative air pressure is that it will always work to re-balance, thus drawing air in from somewhere else. You can up the anti on that with the use of heat exchange vent systems, but they are expensive and would not be a good fit for a rental.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you can swing it, the rabbit air filter does a really good job.
Somewhere back in the radio show archives, Brian talks about building out his home office for smoking. This is the centerpiece of the system. I use it in an 800sf condo in Chicago and get no complaints from wife or neighbors.

64alex

May 10, 2016
If you are a light smoker like myself (1-2 bowls a week) an air purifier with activated carbon filter and ozone plate remove any smoke from a room in 15-20 min, that's all you need. If you smoke every day you have then to look at the other more sophisticated systems described above.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I took over my son's bedroom when he moved on. I bought this fan thinking it would hold me over until did something better. Never needed to change it works great.

fan

51KYarxWchL._AC_SY200_.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No matter the extraction or purifying system smoke particles will attach to your hair, skin, carpet, paint, etc. Unless you can trap all the smoke before it leaves your mouth, nose or pipe. The machinery may slow the buildup but, the reek will be there, growing as you smoke and as time passes. The reek is simply part and parcel of the pipe smoking experience. Embrace it! Revel in it! Grow a mustache and so trap even more of the smoke!

64alex

May 10, 2016
[No matter the extraction or purifying system smoke particles will attach to your hair, skin, carpet, paint, etc. ]
Absolutely correct. But you can significantly purify the air at a point the smoke is not detectable to the nose. Granted, it depends how much do you smoke inside, I smoke just a couple of bowls a week and I am complimented from the manager for having the cleanest unit in every aspect (including air ans smelling) in the building.

tompetty

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
It amazes me how many men let broads prevent them from smoking pipes indoors these days. Relationships are a two way street, if your tongue spends enough time in her box, you can smoke in any room you wish without issue. It really is that simple.. That being said a closed door and a open window will keep 99% of your smoke and it’s resin from leaching out. Good for you for claiming a room in your own house :D

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
It amazes me how many men let broads prevent them from smoking pipes indoors these days. Relationships are a two way street, if your tongue spends enough time in her box, you can smoke in any room you wish without issue. It really is that simple..
If that is your view of relationship and love, I'm very glad you are not my spouse.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Also, this thread has done nothing to help me get over my phobia of estate pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.