PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
It's been a while, my friends.. But I am back with another review.
I haven't had a chance to smoke the original, and probably wasn't even around when it was being produced. So this review will be an independent review of this current iteration. The main role here is played by dark virginias, and I dare say the sole role. This is a monologue of tobacco rather than anything else. And that's not a hindrance. It is quite good for what it is. A monotonous, single dimension, virginia flake. It is dark, rich, bready and yeasty in flavour. It is consistent and rich throughout the bowl. From the point you open up the newly designed round tins you are greeted by a deep, aroma of virginia before you are welcomed by a complementing view of dark, well packed flakes with a hint of darker, nearly black perique. And the latter doesn't seem to play much role in the tin aroma and even less role in the flavour palette. As with all Dunhill line, it is at perfect moisture content, though it doesn't harm to give it 2-3 minutes of dry time. It rubs easily and packs well. It burns evenly and consistently till the end of the bowl and leaves little ash and no moisture behind. It is an excellent all day smoke and I can easily see it in my daily rotation provided we can have Dunhill tobaccos stay in the market.
Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky XL02
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin
Purchased From: smokingpipes.com
Similar Blends: Peterson - University Flake, Dunhill - Royal Yacht.

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
I am a lover of Dunhill flakes. It's what I consider to be dependable. I always know what to expect. After smoking Dunhill Flake for years, I knew what Dark Flake would taste like before I tried it and my expectations were spot on. I am now and shall remain forever in denial of the great Dunhill departure from the pipe tobacco world. Reality is perception and in my world there will always be Dunhill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds pretty good. I have quite a few interesting Va/Pers aging, so it may be a while, but if it's still around, I may give it a go. Meantime, El Nino and others.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks, All for your warm words.. and I am glad I could help..

I am in shock as well by Dunhill departure from the market, and I hope someone will pick it up.
As for this vs Royal Yacht, the yacht is still my favourite.. this is just what it is, a simple, consistent, virginia flake. which is excellent in that aspect

Status
Not open for further replies.