PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I was born in 1976 so my view of the Beach Boys is from what I heard on the oldies radio station. I liked what I heard but didn't know their non-radio songs. Recently I've been watching videos on their history and going down the rabbit hole of Brian Wilson and what "others" view as his creative genius.

What's your take on the group and Brian? What did they do that was ahead of their time? Why is Brian considered a musical genius?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Calling @beefeater33 Calling @beefeater33

My two cents: I don't think "creative genius" is an overstatement regarding Brian's musical talent. I think the weak link was a lot of their lyrics, which as I understand it, came to some significant degree from Mike Love. IMO, the material was diminished by too much of those kind of lyrics.

Beef can speak much more knowledgably and intelligently on the BB...hopefully he will chime in, and correct anything I said above that is not entirely accurate.

But what Brian created in terms of the music...the melodies and the experimentation...was special and unique, and influenced many other artists.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I was never a fan, but Pet Sounds is considered one of the greatest albums ever recorded and I know a lot of people have that opinion within my audio industry friends.

I have a similar appreciation for them like I do the Beatles, Phil Spector, and others during that era around the 60s. I never really enjoyed the music, but what they did in advancements of studio recording paved the way for everything after.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Pet Sounds begat Sgt Pepper. Paul was in LA and visited with Brian Wilson, heard some of the tapes for Pet Sounds and realized that the Beatles (who were, in fact, really much greater than the Beach Boys) were about to be creatively challenged in a way they had never been except by Dylan. The Stones mostly followed at that time. Anyway, flying home to London, Paul began to sketch out a concept album which became Pepper. Paul also thinks God Only Knows is the greatest love song ever written. Pretty high praise considering the source.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I enjoyed the Beach Boys during their heyday in the 60's but to call one of them a "genius" severely devalues the word.
I take your point, and generally agree that term gets used loosely too often...but I do think a person can exhibit genius in the context of some specific talent without being an all-around certified card-carrying official Genius.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In my opinion, Brian Wilson does possess a certain degree of genius; However his mental health issues have been a detractor.

You don't remain noted as a recording artist for as many years as he has without having something.

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In my opinion, Brian Wilson does possess a certain degree of genius; However his mental health issues have been a detractor.

You don't remain noted as a recording artist for as many years as he has without having something.
Yes, and it's not at all unusual for people with exceptional creative talent to also have mental health issues.

Reactions: Servant King

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I take your point, and generally agree that term gets used loosely too often...but I do think a person can exhibit genius in the context of some specific talent without being an all-around certified card-carrying official Genius.
People with Savant Syndrome can exhibit genius in certain areas...

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I would say that it's almost a requirement! :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely...one of my favorite writers, PKD, comes to mind immediately. And the list is probably endless of great artists who had some type of mental/psychological aberration going on for whatever reason.

Reactions: renfield
Status
Not open for further replies.