PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
I've noticed that quite a few pipesters who cellar their tobacco use refrigerators to keep the tobacco.
Does refrigeration accelerate the aging process?

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
Thanks Phil67. That helps. I got an order coming in and wanted to make sure I was aging the tobacco the right way. This is the first time that I will have some extra to cellar.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Keeping your tobacco tins inside a non refrigerated cooler can be beneficial, by helping to prevent wide temperature swings. However, refrigerated units create moisture and condensation, which you definitely wouldn't want.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Nate- I think we need to see pictures before making an intelligent recommendation to proper and full recovery.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
However, refrigerated units create moisture and condensation, which you definitely wouldn't want.
Actually, unless the tobacco is kept in a airtight container, it's just the opposite as a refrigerator will deplete the moisture. As an example: bread should never be placed in a fridge as it will quickly lose it's moisture and will have a shorter shelf life than if you simply kept it at room temperature. On the other hand, freezing is a whole different matter and I'll at times place bread and rolls in the freezer and it works quite satisfactorily as long as it's defrosted in the proper way. The same also applies to cigars if the need arises such as doubts, and or suspicions about tobacco beetles/larvae, but never in the fridge or you'll end up with a very dried out cigar. Either way, never place pipe tobacco in the fridge or freezer and simply use a Mason jar and try to keep it out of the light and in a relatively cool place if possible.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Refrigerators are for your stacks of cash, not tobacco.
Oh, and you can put vegetables and things in there too.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I would have a hard time keeping food ghosties out of my smokes. Refridgerators are bad about harboring old food smells.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I would have a hard time keeping food ghosties out of my smokes. Refridgerators are bad about harboring old food smells.
McClelland's Meatloaf Mixture hitting shelves this holiday season!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Fridges can also create condensation inside of containers, which would be kind of gross with tobacco.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Actually, unless the tobacco is kept in a airtight container, it's just the opposite as a refrigerator will deplete the moisture. As an example: bread should never be placed in a fridge as it will quickly lose it's moisture and will have a shorter shelf life than if you simply kept it at room temperature. On the other hand, freezing is a whole different matter and I'll at times place bread and rolls in the freezer and it works quite satisfactorily as long as it's defrosted in the proper way. The same also applies to cigars if the need arises such as doubts, and or suspicions about tobacco beetles/larvae, but never in the fridge or you'll end up with a very dried out cigar. Either way, never place pipe tobacco in the fridge or freezer and simply use a Mason jar and try to keep it out of the light and in a relatively cool place if possible.
Phil, the fan inside the fridge can only dry what's on the outside of a tin or mason jar. The tobacco, being on the inside of the container, will accumulate moisture. You will see this every time you go to take food out of the fridge, and take the lid off a Tupperware container. There will always be some condensation hanging off the inside of the lid.
Now if you were to take loose tobacco and just lay it inside the fridge, then it would dry out, but I can't imagine anyone doing that, regardless of their level of pipe smoking experience. I suppose that is why Tupperware was invented, to keep people from just laying food inside the fridge, and coming back to dried up leftovers. :lol:

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Iv'e been pressing Dunhill to make a BBQ flavored tobacco for a long time now! I think if we had smokes that tasted like food, people on the tubby side of life like me could curb our food cravings!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As an example: bread should never be placed in a fridge as it will quickly lose it's moisture and will have a shorter shelf life than if you simply kept it at room temperature.
Actually, here in Vegas if we leave the bread out on the counter in the summer it molds in less than a week. If we leave the bread in the fridge it stays good for almost two weeks. I can't explain it scientifically, I've just seen the results.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Any open containers get emptied into mason jars. They are kept along with unopened tins in large rubbermaid containers in my basement.

I have a friend who keeps all of his tobacco in the deep freeze. He swears by it, and nothing I say will convince him. I mean he has over 100 lbs in there. Vacuum sealed and frozen. Hey, if someone wants to do something "off the beaten path" with their own tobacco, it's their own money. Who am I to say.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I got an order coming in and wanted to make sure I was aging the tobacco the right way.
Make sure you don't overthink it. Got tins? Write the date on 'em, and set them aside for storage. Got bulks? Put 'em in a mason or ball jar, write the date on 'em, and set them aside for storage. Simple as that. Then wait 5 years or more. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.