PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've been curious about a matter and wanted more perspective.
I haven't had the luxury of tasting any well aged tobacco in the past several years, nothing with more than a year.
I was wondering if anybody had the opportunity to taste a brand that has aged for a certain period of time in a jar and also the very same brand that had been aged a roughly similar period of time in an unopened tin, and if you can share your experiences with regard to the difference between the two.
Am I better off not touching a tin at all vs opening and splitting between longterm and short term jars?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I put up several pounds of FVF and Best Brown back in 2006. I have a pound of bulk Macbaren Va#1 in bulk and a number of 100 gram tins from the same time (2009). I always leave tobacco in the sealed tin when I buy it that way, and I generally do.I personally think the tinned ages better, especially the Va#1 but not to the point that I would not buy bulk. Its mostly a matter of convenience. To me, nothing takes care of my tobacco as well as a McClelland 100 gram tin. The FVF and the BBF are both excellent. I put up some in smaller, 1/2 pint jars to check the progress. My goal is to hold the larger jars until they have 20 yrs age.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.