PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I acquired some 5 year old LBF. It was heaven . Dark in appearance and similar to how I remember escudo was in the 60's. And yes I am that old!
I just wanted opinions on how long to age a batch I just received. I'm after minimum period before gains diminish.
All help gratefully received

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
When I first tried LBF, I was unimpressed (to say the least). I put it away and forgot about it.

About a year later, I read on here how LBF transforms with age more than almost any other tobacco. "Huh," says I, "Doubtful, but ok, let's dig it out and give it a try."

Oh my. From cardboard to ambrosia in one year!?

I exaggerate slightly. Not ambrosia. There are tobaccos I like more. But seriously, the remarkable contrast tempts me to exaggerate.

I can only imagine that 5 years was all the better. I can't wait to get there.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Well I had hoped for something shorter than 5years. But hey ho! Off it goes. I hope I live to smoke it.

Anyone stoved it?

Reactions: seanv
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I tried LNF years ago, I wasn't blown away by it, either. Of course, I was smoking it fresh, and apparently hadn't read that you practically need to age it. I know this thread is about LBF, but I'm thinking perhaps I should buy some of all three (LNF, LBF, and LTF) soon, jar them up, and get the clock started so I can try them properly in a couple of years.

TAD? What TAD? 😅

Last edited:

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
LBF is one of my daily smokes.
Fresh LBF is a little rough on the palate.
1 year old LBF is smoother, but not as complex.
2 year old LBF is smoother, sweeter and just starts to develop a deeper complexity to the smoke.
3 years brings LBF to what I think is the beginning of it's peak. Smooth, sweet and with just enough complexity to keep a bowl from getting boring.
Years 4 and 5 are much like year 3, but by year 5, I start to get some additional fermentation going in my jars that makes a tart ending to each puff.
After year 5, can't help you, I've never had any last that long.

What I started doing several years ago was to buy the 1.5lb boxes of LBF. Those usually last me about 3 months in my normal rotation. The first two years, I bought 4 boxes and bagged them in mylar. Then in year 3, as I smoke a box, I buy 2 to replace it. Only the last year or so have I not been able to replenish LBF like I normally do, but that has been due to the shortages of LBF on the market. So I suppose my response is much like Mr. Owl's on Tootsie Roll Pops. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? The world may never know.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I think it'll be great stuff from 2-3 years - to knows when. I know one thing, I'll still have jars aging for up to 50 years if I live that long. I probably have like 7 lbs aging in 150g increments. I bet that'll be some good stuff!

Reactions: seanv and SBC

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
There are alot of people that use the term "mummy dust" and what not for really old tobacco. With all the experiences I've read about for others having with old tobacco, it should still taste great 40-50 years down the road. Might have to rehydrate it though, most likely.

Maybe it turns to mummy dust after the 100 year mark, who knows. Lol

Reactions: SBC

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
There are alot of people that use the term "mummy dust" and what not for really old tobacco. With all the experiences I've read about for others having with old tobacco, it should still taste great 40-50 years down the road. Might have to rehydrate it though, most likely.

Maybe it turns to mummy dust after the 100 year mark, who knows. Lol
My biggest concern about the mummy dust thing is how quick a newly opened tin or jar dries out and goes flat.

Reactions: gervais

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My biggest concern about the mummy dust thing is how quick a newly opened tin or jar dries out and goes flat.
Assuming you’re not leaving the jars/tins open to the air, you shouldn’t have to worry.

Whenever I open a new tin, I immediately move it’s contents to a jar, which is what I work from as I smoke my way through that tin. I’ve had tobacco last years in my “currently smoking” jars and maintain an appropriate moisture level.

The only way you’d end up with “mummy dust” is if the seal fails on whatever you’re using to store the tobacco (tin or jar). Otherwise, I believe you should expect a sound tin to deliver a sound tobacco indefinitely—certainly 30+ years or more.

Reactions: seanv and gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I've thought about this too, and if that indeed happens with any of my long aged stuff, I'm going to try only taking out a portion, then vacuum sealing the rest straight up in the freezer plastic. Getting rid of any air "should" hopefully slow that down considerably. Then just cut it open to take another 4-5ish bowls out, re-seal

Reactions: seanv