PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

manny816

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2020
Central NJ USA
This past week I decided to smoke some 2008 Frog Morton, 2010 Dunhill Nightcap, and 2010 Squadron Leader. This is my first time smoking these blends in a long time. I noticed that they don't really taste the same anymore. The Nightcap for example tastes more like a cigarette to me as does the Squadron Leader. I aged the tobacco in mason jars and they have not been opened in a few years. Does pipe tobacco age the same way cigars age? I have some cigars from the early 2000s that are fantastic.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
This past week I decided to smoke some 2008 Frog Morton, 2010 Dunhill Nightcap, and 2010 Squadron Leader. This is my first time smoking these blends in a long time. I noticed that they don't really taste the same anymore. The Nightcap for example tastes more like a cigarette to me as does the Squadron Leader. I aged the tobacco in mason jars and they have not been opened in a few years. Does pipe tobacco age the same way cigars age? I have some cigars from the early 2000s that are fantastic.

I have some Original Frog Morton from 2012 and I don't like it but I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it more fresh. There's a few other english blends I don't like super aged either which is why I don't have a lot of them sitting around.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
When I first tried Squadron Leader I didn't like it. Came back to it 3 or 4 years later and fell absolutely in love. It is now my most enjoyed English blend that I have been buying by the pounds when available.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Damn, does that mean I need to freight train all the GLP Quiet Nights and SPC PP Special Reserve before they get too old?
Latakia mellows out quite a bit over time. Do you like aged Virginia's? I ask because I think that is what you flagged as the cigarette taste

Reactions: manny816
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Latakia mellows out quite a bit over time. Do you like aged Virginia's? I ask because I think that is what you flagged as the cigarette taste
As to my part, I'm aware that latakia mellows...I'm cool with that. I just don't want my fav blends dipping into the cigarette flavoring. Guess worst comes to worst, I can always boost the lat portion with a little Pirate Kake.

Reactions: vosBghos and Elric

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I love my Latakia blends with age. With a good base of Virginia’s and some nice Orientals, they are far more superior to me after a good bit of time. Currently smoking through a tin of Gaslight from 2013 and it’s excellent!

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
When you say that it tastes like a cigarette, what do you mean? I hear this a lot from different people in reviews, having smoked cigarettes for many years I’m curious about your take on the flavors you’re experiencing, thanks.