PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I am curious to know how well this one improves with time. Can anyone speak to OGS after 5-10 years of age? I want to know if it is the kind of blend that drastically improves or just mellows out a bit?

Reactions: Pipelady20

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm aging a tin right now, and expect the skies to open when the tin does. Most Virginias improve well with time, and OGS is no different. The degree of improvement probably depends on how it is stored and what year the leaf was harvested, among other things, and of course the mindset of the smoker. I think five years probably is the extent of improvement, except in individual cases. Some might improve 6 or 8 years out, maybe ten under perfect storage with leaf from a primo year. Only the very best wine improves on-and-on, and only up to a point.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I'm aging a tin right now, and expect the skies to open when the tin does. Most Virginias improve well with time, and OGS is no different. The degree of improvement probably depends on how it is stored and what year the leaf was harvested, among other things, and of course the mindset of the smoker. I think five years probably is the extent of improvement, except in individual cases. Some might improve 6 or 8 years out, maybe ten under perfect storage with leaf from a primo year. Only the very best wine improves on-and-on, and only up to a point.
I know about the ageing potential of Virginias, as well as the point of diminishing return that all blends face. However, I am looking for someone who has first-hand experience with aged OGS. I have lots of Virginias in the cellar but for some reason, I always pass on picking up OGS. I enjoy the blend fresh and am currently trying to determine if it is one I want to go deep on in my cellar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In 2012 I opened a tin of 1997 OGS. The tobacco was practically black. The flavors of figs and raisins and just good aged Virginia was what I tasted.Thankfully there were no grass or hey flavors as I really hate that about fresh OGS. There were no Perique flavors as I don't believe there is any in the blend to begin with. I have no idea when it changed from a hey and grass tasting blend into something worth smoking. For that reason I didn't cellar any OGS. If I can't smoke a blend that tastes really nice fresh, I am not going to age it to see if might be better with age.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have a tin of OGS from October 2005 currently open. It's been a few years since I last enjoyed this fine blend, but the current open tin is about the same as I remember without any obvious drastic change. My main concern is why I waited so long to dig the tin out of my stash since it's so delicious!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
OGS ages very well, in my experience. I've smoked many tins that were between 5-20 years-old and they were all enjoyable. The smaller 50g tins seem to age more slowly (less oxygen in the tin) than the large 100g and newer round 50g tins. After 5-7 years, it's fruity and rich with more noticeable spice than you'll find in fresh tins.

I'd say it's one of the best bets for long-term aging, along with Escudo.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
OGS ages very well, in my experience. I've smoked many tins that were between 5-20 years-old and they were all enjoyable. The smaller 50g tins seem to age more slowly (less oxygen in the tin) than the large 100g and newer round 50g tins. After 5-7 years, it's fruity and rich with more noticeable spice than you'll find in fresh tins.

I'd say it's one of the best bets for long-term aging, along with Escudo.
Hey great to see you participating on here!!! Thanks for your input.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
My experience with it mirrors Hoosier's and Shane's. A tin purchased in Dec. 2013 was only meh to me at that time. I smoked it sporadically from then on but after 6 years it had become sweeter with a little bit of spice which I took to be the tad of perique that is purported to be in it. If you have plenty else to smoke it would not be a bad idea to purchase several tins on sale and just tuck away for a few years. Excellent aged

Status
Not open for further replies.