PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Forgive me if this is a question that may have been answered or addressed earlier. I've been smoking pipes and cigars for roughly 25 years or so. Recently, a friend quit smoking cigars. He had a handful of premium cigars that he gave me. These cigars are bone dry and about 20 - 25 years old. Are these too old to recover? What I mean is, I know I can rehydrate them, but is it worth it? Do cigars lose something with that much age? I'm quite familiar with that process with pipe tobacco, but have no clue with cigars. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I have as buddy here who, in a case similar to yours, inherited a whole milk crate full of dried up cigars. Like it was over five pounds of dry cigars. He rehydrated them all, and said some were still tasty, some not so much, but he smoked them and enjoyed the experiment. I had a few of them, and not knowing the differences, I enjoyed them. I mean, if you are expecting to know what a such and such is going to taste like, and anything "off" would ruin your day, maybe pass them off to someone less knowledgeable.
I really enjoy not knowing jackshit about cigars, because I can enjoy more variety and serendipity than a seasoned encyclopedia of cigars. puffy

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I have as buddy who here, in a case similar to yours, inherited a whole milk crate full of dried up cigars. Like it was over five pounds of dry cigars. He rehydrated them all, and said some were still tasty, some not so much, but he smoked them and enjoyed the experiment. I had a few of them, and not knowing the differences, I enjoyed them. I mean, if you are expecting to know what a such and such is going to taste like, and anything "off" would ruin your day, maybe pass them off to someone less knowledgeable.
I really enjoy not knowing jackshit about cigars, because I can enjoy more variety and serendipity than a seasoned encyclopedia of cigars. puffy
Thanks. That makes sense. I think I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Rehydration is a bit of a crap shoot. More generally speaking aged cigars, kept properly humidified in the first place, can be fantastic. I’ve had Padron Anniversarios 15+ years old that were terrific.

I had a couple that I had re-hydrated. One was a Cuban Cohiba. There was almost no smell after hydrating them. Smoking them, pretty much no flavor. So they were a bust.
That's rather fast rehydration. My understanding is that it takes a few months, but I have never done this myself with cigars. But, with pipe tobacco you want to get the leaf pliable and then just let it set to fully hydrate the cells of the tobacco.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Rehydrating them is a slow process - don't rush it with a bunch of sponges and such as you'll likely end up with mold, cracked wrappers and binders, or unevenly-humidified cigars that will not smoke well. Instead, do it slowly in a well-sealed (and odor-free) Tupperware with a product designed for cigar humidification, whether it's beads, boveda, Oasis, etc. The process should take a few months.

Reactions: OzPiper and BROBS

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Aged cigars have a different flavour profile to young or freshly rolled cigars. Most noticeable is a loss of strength and smoothening of "rough edges" ie the flavours become more mellow.

Very much like drinking an aged wine (one more than 20 years old). I have some Portages Lusitanias from 1996 which are a fantastic smoke compared to the "rawness" of their younger brethren.

Reactions: kcghost

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
If they were good cigars to begin with, it's definitely worth a try.

If the wrappers have fallen apart, and you deem it worth it, you can get wrapper leaf and rewrap them.

Reactions: JOHN72

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Often, aging is overrated. I didn't say that.
There is some truth to that... Certain cigars will not really gain anything over time.

Cigars that are high in nicotine content, i.e. Ligero leaf will generally benefit the most from aging. In general, the flavor profile will change from a more spicy, peppery note to a more floral note. In my experience the spicy, peppery component is still there, it's just diminished.

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.