PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I busted open some 14 year old Ashton Artisans Blend with Syrian latakia that I got from pipestud. So far the oldest blend Ive had yet. Its definitely not a disappointment thats for sure, in fact its quite good. Very dark, deep, smooth, and well balanced, all of the components married together to form a tasty melange of smoky sweet tangy goodness. If age is supposed to tone down latakia then it did this blend just right. Its presence is still definitely known without being too overbearing. Reminds me of Nightcap a little. My palate isn't advanced enough to tell the difference between Syrian and Cyprian but if I had to put my finger on Id say its smoother and a little sweeter and less "smoky".

The moisture content was just right. I don't know how wet it was freshly packed but Id say it held its moisture well. I even dried it for about 20 minutes to get it to where I like it. Behaved quite nicely with no issues. Four stars out of four.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Another great data point. I recently opened a 6 year old tin of Artisan’s.

Sounds like going beyond 6 years doesn’t ruin the balance, like I feared it would.

Aging Report on 6 Year Old Artisan’s Blend.
That's funny I didn't even realize someone else had already reviewed it. But yeah the latakia is still there for sure even after 14 years. Its not a lat bomb or anything, a bit like nightcap if I had to compare. Definitely more than something like Blairgowrie. I dont know what Artisan’s blend tastes like fresh.

Reactions: ofafeather

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve never had it fresh either.

I’ll have to cellar some of the current version in the hopes that it ages half as well as the Syrian version.

Status
Not open for further replies.