PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I first discovered that I was able to buy tobacco on-line from the U.S., I really had little understanding of various tobacco leaf and my preferences. [Choice of blends is very limited here in Oz. Before then I only smoked two blends for several years]

Tobaccoreviews was a big help - JimInks in-particular.
AJs Vaper was rather popular on pipe forums and having no idea of what to expect from Red Virginia, I ordered a pound [Tins were more frequently intercepted by Customs and there was no point in buying small amounts of bulk blends]

AJ's was one blend that I was rather disappointed with. It was way too tangy for my tastes.
Blending in a straight Virginia, Burley or a bit of both made it more acceptable for my tastes.

Most of the pound though was jarred and stuck at the back of my baccy cupboard over 3 years ago.
Last week I felt like something different so I mixed a few bowls worth with some MB Virginia #1. Nice.

Having failed to put the jar back in the cupboard, the other night I was too lazy to get out of my seat while watching a movie to get one of my preferred blends, so I packed a meerschaum lined 50s Heibe Billiard with this aged VaPer.

What a difference from fresh. The 'tanginess' is still there but it no longer dominates or overwhelms the palate.

Tobacco is way too expensive here in Nanny State Australia so I would not ever chuck out any.
My intention was to mix the AJs Vaper with homegrown Burley and/or Virginia when my stash of commercial blends was low.
Glad I tried it before I resorted to that.

Like my other blends [that I'm unable to buy more at reasonable price] I'll probably smoke no more than one bowl a day to make it last.

Just had a quick look at tobaccoreviews - an Emeritus Account wrote "Having had a hand in the creation of this blend . . . . This blend was made for aging . . ."
Well, that says it all really. I totally agree.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm enjoying this popular blend so much that I've decided to see what else I may have hidden deep in the 'cellar'.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I will have to look I think I jarred a pound or so back in 2012. Louisiana Red and Anniversary Kake As well
It certainly will be interesting to hear how it's developed over nine years.
Do report back. puffy

My 1lb was divided into two jars. I'll leave the other half pound for at least another three years.

The LR and AK should have matured very nicely.

Being a Virginia, I should have guessed that AJ's would improve with age.

I've just realised that I might also have a pound of Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 hiding in the cupboard [It was several years back so I can't recall exactly - if I did then that should also be a pleasant surprise]