Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Everybody in the cigar history likes to claim that their seeds or their methods, etc, derive from Cuba, thus the name Cubanesque, but in practice soil and cultivation play as big a part as anything else. Aganorsa, however, went way out of their way to establish a Cuban link by hiring Cuban agronomists:

(from smokingpipes. Beware a retailer's write-up.) Aganorsa tobacco is known throughout the industry for its quality and similarity to the iconic Cuban flavor and aroma. Based in Nicaragua, Aganorsa Leaf is a project by Eduardo Fernández and his son, Max, that started in 1998 when Eduardo traveled to Cuba and assembled a team of former Cubatabaco agronomists with the goal of replicating the profile of Cuban cigars, creating the specific leaf now known as Aganorsa tobacco.

They seem to have succeeded. Not cheap and not easily affordable. . .so affordable. If I were still smoking I'd make sure I smoked a few

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Any supplier claiming there cigars are just the same as Cubans are engaging in marketing hyperbole. The cigars maybe very good but they are not Cubans. The main thing they have going for them is Cubans aren't near as good as they were pre-boom (1990).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are many cigar companies out there, and here we have another newcomer, Aganorsa who feels their tobacco is so good and so distinctive that that is all they use in their cigars, buying none from elsewhere and selling none.

If I were they I'd feel a tad intimidated from playing ball with the big guys like Fuente who've had decades to refine their process, and who, from what I've read have worked very hard at this.

I don't know the substance of the dreams of these company leaders, but if I couldn't come into the game with a clear vision of how I was going to make a superior product, the substance of my dreams would be empty. Since cigars are high margin, I think a lot of new companies are started for the money.

Why bother?

Reactions: danimalia

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I am one who believes aganora leaf is one of the best. I have boxes and boxes of Cubans but still tend to reach for my NCs which are mainly comprised of aganorsa tobacco. Rich sweet spicy flavor that I just can’t get enough of.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you have the patience to age Cubans, they're still the best IMHO. Nothing else compares in terms of full flavored and complexity. I smoke Nicaraguan more frequently, I like the sweetness and strength. And no hassle to buy. But they're no where near as complex.
You tempt me off the wagon. Thanks!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Aganorsa is interesting. My understanding is that first and foremost, they are a tobacco outfit. They grow a ton of tobacco in Nicaragua. They have a factory in Nicaragua, TABSA, which makes a number of contract brands in addition to their own lines. Some of the contract brands are pretty famous and well-loved like most Illusiones, several Waped lines, Foundation's El Gueguense, etc. Their tobacco also ends up in other factories and cigars as well, I believe. In addition to their contract brands, they also make their own cigars, which used to be called Casa Fernandez, but they have tried to re-brand everything as Aganorsa for consistency. Oh, and they have a couple of lines they make in Miami, USA as well.

Overall, I really like Aganorsa tobaccos, and the cigars that they make. The reputation for some of their contracted cigars speak for themselves, but I have also been pretty impressed with most of the Casa Fernandez/Aganorsa Leaf brand cigars as well. The Casa Fernandez Miami cigars are quite good and a hell of a value for cigars made in the USA. The

Do they taste Cuban? Nah, they taste Nicaraguan. But it is excellent Nicaraguan tobacco!

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
Illusione original series and various aganorsa cigars by Casa Fernandez and Viaje have been the only non-Cubans I've enjoyed and repurchased