PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
Speaking from experience, some points to consider after stopping smoking a pipe:

1. Do not hastily give away your pipes, and throw away your tobacco and accessories, you may regret it later if you get back into smoking.

2. If you get back into smoking, be prepared to be called out by your wife, as just happened to me, and having to explain yourself.

It may have been better if I never stopped (I did go to chewing and dipping for six years after I laid down the pipe the first time, but quit that two years ago).

Now she says do whatever I want, except not in front of the kids....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1. Do not hastily give away your pipes, and throw away your tobacco and accessories, you may regret it later if you get back into smoking.
I regularly throw away ones that have fallen into disuse.

2. If you get back into smoking, be prepared to be called out by your wife, as just happened to me, and having to explain yourself
Why would you have to explain yourself?

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
Just tell her it's relaxing and you missed it.
She said "Don't go around telling everyone that you started smoking again, because I'm stressing you out at home..." ??? Her reaction is not really surprising, because she never liked smoking in the first place. At least the cat is out of the bag now...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@jiminks has my utmost respect for setting a manly standard:

"She was 19 when we got married, and was conducting anti-smoking clinics at her church. When we decided to marry, I told her I only had one requirement. I said I had been smoking a pipe since I was 13, and smoking in the house since I was 16. I said "I'm not going to be one of those guys who goes outside to smoke his pipe while holding a umbrella in the rain. I smoke in my house" I said if she could handle that, we'd never have a problem. She said, "Okay", and we've never had a problem."

**How Many of You Lucky Dogs Get to Smoke Inside? :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/how-many-of-you-lucky-dogs-get-to-smoke-inside.67798/page-2#post-35899221

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
She said "Don't go around telling everyone that you started smoking again, because I'm stressing you out at home..." ??? Her reaction is not really surprising, because she never liked smoking in the first place. At least the cat is out of the bag now...
Ah, I thought you were going to be one of those guys that married a harpy. She sounds fun, a lot like my wife.?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I stopped smoking when we were expecting our first child.
Took up cigars when they were grown some years ago, and now back to pipes.

My wife has never liked smoking, so I don't smoke inside the house or around children.

Apart from a few comments eg "not looking at cigars/pipes again, are you ?" Or "Not thinking of buying another pipe, are you ?", she has been remarkably tolerant of my occasional cigar and rum parties (for up to 10 buddies) and Saturday afternoon "smokos" with my pipe buddy.

I don't think much escapes her notice, but as with my wine "collection", she pretends she is unaware of the ever enlarging pipe collection. She's a keeper ?

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Good advice. I took a long break as well. I will stop dipping soon and will use pipes to help the transition.

It cost me nothing to start back up, because I kept all my stuff. Also, my cellar is that much more aged.