After 18years My First Meerchaum. A Revelation.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Hot water is not "fine" for meerschaum. Water softens meerschaum and the raw meerschaum is kept in water until the carver finishes shaping and carving the bowl. Running water through a meerschaum can also make it crack.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pappy-
In several years of cleaning my meers with hot water, never a problem, no softening.
Your claim of it cracking really has me wondering. Personal experience? Where/how do you know this/

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I tried a clay tavern pipe and for me it left a bad taste in my mouth and the coolness of the smoke actually made my teeth hurt. Maybe this was just a breaking in period. The clay itself actually tasted bad. Probably need to put a bit on it.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I tried a clay tavern pipe and for me it left a bad taste in my mouth and the coolness of the smoke actually made my teeth hurt. Maybe this was just a breaking in period. The clay itself actually tasted bad. Probably need to put a bit on it.]
A real good clay should have no taste by itself and does not impart any taste to the tobacco. As a matter of fact it is my understanding blenders use primarily clay pipes in their testing of the blends for this exact reason. Probably your tavern clay was made with a poor material. Try another one before giving up, I would recommend Lepeltier also because they are double walled and so not so hot to touch as the tavern and also because they have have a vulcanite stem so more civilized in holding.

Status
Not open for further replies.