PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
Hoping I can get some suggestions. I am not a big aero smoker but found that I really like Holiday Spirit. And of course they shut the doors. I am looking for recommendations for other Aeros that may be similar. Then again if I end up liking it the supplier may go out of business so if it is something you like you may want to keep it to yourself.
Thanks in advance.

Rick

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aeros? You mean, blends that fly? :mrgreen:
(As long as it's not blends that make you fly... :rofl: )
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Now, seriously, I think that MacBaren should be around for a while, and they've got some good aromatics like Vanilla Cream and Original Choice: these are nice aros and they're not goopy like Lane's BCA. I'm also a fan of Sillem's Black (and if you must have latakia, then that should be right down your alley).
Was almost forgetting: Vauen makes top notch blends. In the aros department: Auenland The Shire, Auenland Midnight Mixture, and Himalaya Blend.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
It is a love or hate but you should try some of the Lakelands from SG/GH. I would start with Bob's Chocolate flake which is more of a crossover and if you like moving to Ennerdale and Groosemoore and if you need a strong baccy to 1792 flake. If you really like than you should move to the plugs even if for the most you have to order from Europe. Another option is Erinmore flake, even if the new formulation is not as strong in both tobacco and topping as the original one, it is still a good one.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
aero.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ O. reminded us a while back that 95% plus of the pipe tobacco market is aromatic, so you have a world to choose from. I don't know Holiday Spirit. A few I like are Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic with Virginia condiment and a burley base with three liqueur flavorings; Iwan Ries Three Star Blue; and Edward G. Robinson. But as mentioned, the blends to sample and explore are seemingly infinite.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
Olkofri... I guess I left myself open for that.
Thanks for the suggestions I have put some in my wish list and will try them out. But I see some are out of stock at SP. I will look around.
Cheers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll throw in Belmont Station. A nice rum aro from C&D that has dark fired Kentucky in it.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
Any Wilke aromatic that sounds good to you has my highest recommendation. Man their stuff is amazing! Bob's Chocolate Flake was recommended earlier, I love that stuff too.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I managed to snag two tins of C&D's Jolly Old St. Nicholas the day before my local B&M put it on the shelf. Paid a couple of dollars more than ordering on-line but I got it first and supported the local shop.
I recommend it as a good holiday blend. In my opinion, it's sort of like Rattray's Exotic Passion but with less sweetness and fruitiness. Instead of honeyed orange, I get more Grand Marnier.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce for big time aromatic flavors.
If you want more tobacco flavors with your fruit, I would grab Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake and Peterson University Flake. Another nice aromatic flake is John Aylesbury Dragon Flake.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Russ O. reminded us a while back that 95% plus of the pipe tobacco market is aromatic..."
Personally I've never subscribed to that oft repeated 'statistic'. Why is it that when McClelland folded, their aromatic blends were the ones that lingered on the shelves well after their 'straight' blends had become things of memory only?
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why is it that when McClelland folded, their aromatic blends were the ones that lingered on the shelves well after their 'straight' blends had become things of memory only?
Because everyone was scrambling to get their Red Virginias from them, McCrannie's, and other brands that used them. Plus, most mostly aro smokers likely didn't go after their aromatic blends as many other brands were far less expensive not to mention Mclelland's non aro blends will fetch higher prices in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.