PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
As a n00b I am probably asking for it...

I am scheming on my next tobacco order and I am thinking I want to throw in a tin to amp it up a bit in strength and flavor.

I am open to any blend... a few that have caught my eye that may or may not fit the bill....

Old Dark Fired
Black Frigate
Key Largo
Gas Light

These worth considering? Any others?

(@docrameous runs for cover) :ROFLMAO:

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I like University Flake and Irish Flake. Both have a unique flavor and respectable strength.
Also Erinmore Flake if you dont mind aromatics.
Dark Flake unscented was always a favorite of mine but beware even with the unscented there is still the scent and taste of lakeland.
I will second the 1792 recommendation.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Have yet to try any on your list but the middle 2 are high on mine.. 1792 is strong but the flavor is love or hate... no way to know if you like it without trying. Same goes for War Horse. Royal Yacht falls into that category as well. All strong but polarizing blends.

Reactions: docrameous

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Some of my choices that bring plenty of nicotine strength: McB ODF and Bold Kentucky. GLP JackKnife. SG 1792, Lakeland Dark. GHC Dark Flake, Dark Plug, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, Brown Twists. C&D Burley Flake #1 and #3. Peterson's Irish Flake

If you're just looking for a fuller flavor profile, any full English style blend will usually deliver. If you're not looking for Latakia, blends like Haddo's Delight or Dreams of Kadath might fit the bill. I've recently fallen in love with St. Bruno, which has a lot of flavor. The latter 3 bring a little more nicotine than average, but aren't real bell-ringers like the above list.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
ODF was the first thing that came to mind. Also, Kendal Kentucky, G&H Dark Bird's eye, and straight Perique (blending tobacco).

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
All great advice....but also, try buying a few ounces of bulk, Cigar-Leaf, that's been processed for blending.

Just add some - (try small amounts first) - to your favorite mixture(s) for some interest and flavor. Mild Cigar-Leaf (Maduro) adds some extra creaminess, and smoke volume, without radically changing the basic taste characteristics of the original blend when SMALL amounts are added. Ditto: Perique, Latakia, Dark Fired.....added in SMALL amounts. But adding those stronger tobaccos will change a mixture, faster than when just adding some mild Cigar-Leaf.

Start adding blending tobacco(s) to a mixture that you love and customize the flavor profile by making small additions of these various blending tobaccos. You might be very surprised by your efforts, and get a happy ending!

Do jot down those concocted recipes, and amounts, along with some comments and critiques, in a little notebook so you can duplicate your triumphs.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
In my findings, Black Frigate has little nicotine, or less than once suspects. It's one of the few blends I can smoke 2-3 bowls in a row and not feel sick, along with Dunhill/Peterson MM965, although it may vary for yourself.

In the nicotine department, I usually go with a dark fired, some of which was mentioned above.

The blends I like when I want something stout are:

GLP JKP
GLP Triple Play
McB HH ODF
McB Bold Kentucky
SPC Plum Pudding (Yea believe it or not this one gives me a nice head buzz)

Status
Not open for further replies.