PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Fellas, I know some of you have spent time in Dublin. It looks like I will be there for about a week in July... Do you have any advice on what part of the city would be nice to look for accommodations? I'm planning on doing air B&B... I don't know Dublin... I am with my lady and we just want to be in a decent area where we're not having to walk miles to get anywhere... Any other Dublin/Ireland vacationing advice is welcome ;-) Thanks Geoff
PS: If you live in Dublin, I can bring you some American tobacco! I'll trade it for awesome tourist advice.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know what you'll find in terms of Air B&B, but the area I've marked on the map is kind of ground zero for things you'd want to see and do (including restaurants and bars). If you can find a place in that area in your price range, you'll be within about a 10 minutes walk of most things. Grafton Street is a great place to walk around, as are St. Stephen's Green and Merrion Square. Also, O'Connell Street, just north of the river has some cool sites and shops.
I used to live in Ireland (Galway, not Dublin), but I've been to Dublin dozens of times for conferences and whatnot. Happy to answer questions if I can.
npii3mC.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
B&B? Dublin? This July? ... You should be making reservations ... yesterday. Dublin has a decent transportation system so, any place within an hour's train should be fine. My preference is staying in the West, Galway or Mayo, and taking a train for a day trip to Dublin, should I feel the need.
There is plenty to see in do in Dublin and its environs. But, I think scoring a good B&B, in the city, will be a stroke of luck. Also, I'd suggest talking to locals with respect to areas of Dublin to avoid due to crime. It's really just a large European city with all of the attendant problems.
That said, The Liffey, bridges, the Post Office, the Peterson Store, the pedestrian arcade (Grafton Street), Trinity University with the "Book of Kells" and other relics, ... lots to see and do ... Guinness, Four Courts ... Some great pubs and, if it's to your liking, tiny, tasty portions of great food in upscale eateries all for $$$. And, great Irish beef, sheep, pork, seafood in some pubs and cafes. It's all there but, to me, Ireland is an hour away. But, I have friends in The West and it's like going home.
You will enjoy Dublin though. There is more to see and do than you can accomplish in an intensive week should you decide on more than a superficial, touristy visit. If you are a "quick look see, been there done that" visitor Dublin is only a day trip. If you want to look deeper, enjoy the parks, etc. type, Dublin will keep you enthralled for a week, for sure.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If you do Galway City and are a "Quiet Man" fan a short jog up to Cong, Co. Mayo, less than an hour, is almost mandatory. While in Galway City stop into O'Maille's and just look at the tweeds and knits. The Mrs contracts out with Irish knitters for the great sweaters. The owners will happily point you to a couple of pubs with the "craic", great pub food, and local musicians. It's all on "shop street" which is a pedestrian arcade in the historic old part of town. Mr. O'Maille can direct you to the store which carries a few tobacco blends and "Havanas."
I envy you! Enjoy!
Oh! And you will walk miles and enjoy every step wherever you go in Ireland. It's pretty much unavoidable and, no matter how much you resist, enjoyable. Now, a bit of a warning, car break-ins (rentals are a particular target) are a fact of life across the island these days. according to a "Garda" (Police officer) friend of mine. If you rent a car, keep valuables in the trunk, stop some where and get out what you need before parking in either a public lot or somewhere remote where tourists gather.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd stay central to pitchfork's circle on the map, so you'll spend your time walking in the central city rather than riding the train, especially for a short visit. Close to St. Stephen's Green, sort of Dublin's Central Park, is good. In that area, most things are walkable -- St. Patrick's Cathedral (Irish Anglican not Roman Catholic), Trinity College and their fabulous ancient library and Book of Kells, not far from the River Liffey (no boat rides, far too shallow, mostly a few feet), Grafton Street and the Peterson pipe shop, among much else. Dublin is a sweet city.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I consider the "Temple Bar" area to be "dicey" at best evenings and night times these days. If you must, go with a couple of large, male friends who know the area and the "performance standards." But, that's my take as an old copper who keeps track of Dublin and its crime stats. Just a hobby of mine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As you likely already know, when ordering your Guiness, give the bar person a bit of time to draw you a good pint. The slight wait means they are giving you good treatment, letting the foam settle nicely. That's the way it's done. Most pubs have nice little buffets of food to go with your beverages.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Thanks again for the replies and PMs! Also wanted to say that from Dublin we are flying to Prague...
So, I've always wanted to go to Prague as well... and I'll get 7 days there...

Status
Not open for further replies.