PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hello all. I have been keen to try out some different types of tobaccos (who isn't?). So far I have had Peterson's (formerly Dunhill's) Nightcap. I've tried HH Old Dark Fired and also HH Latakia Flake... oh! and Clan ha ha.
I've decided to that I'm going to try out some English blends. My Brick n Mortar tobacconist keeps both Peterson's (again formerly Dunhill's) Elizabethan Mixture and also he has Cabbie's Mixture.
My question would be: What exactly is meant by an English blend?
Also, which would be best between Cabbie's mixture and the Elizabethan mixture?
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hello. I thought I might add that I am based in the UK. So some tobaccos are off limits for now.

Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of our more disciplined tobacco scholars will give the correct answer on what an English blend is, but meantime, I'd say they are most often Virginia based blends most often including Latakia and/or Perique, and usually other condiment tobaccos like Oriental, Turkish, Cavendish, and sometimes burley of various kinds. They do not have aromatic flavorings as such. A more scholarly definition likely follows.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Best thing when ordering from abroad is to keep the parcels small. Yes, I know it isn't financially savvy to have the contents cost the same or even less than the postage, but when it comes to tobacco you risk being dinged with stratospheric duties or have the parcel seized if you order large amounts. I keep all my purchases under 200 grams.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Best thing when ordering from abroad is to keep the parcels small. Yes, I know it isn't financially savvy to have the contents cost the same or even less than the postage, but when it comes to tobacco you risk being dinged with stratospheric duties or have the parcel seized if you order large amounts. I keep all my purchases under 200 grams.
Surely you would have no problems arguing it is for personal use in that case.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
How did you like Nightcap? It's pretty much the granddaddy of English style blends.

Being in the U.K., if you can find Esoterica Penzance over there, it's a top Balkan blend, which is a style very similar to (and sometimes overlapping) English blends. Both styles contain latakia, which is the tobacco that gives Nightcap the "smoky campfire" smell and flavor. Just FYI, at least over here in the U.S., Penzance has such a cult following that it's almost become a joke... like "Pssst, hey man, yeah you over there... got any Penzance?" It's hard to find and has sold at astronomical prices on the resale market. However, it might be easier to find in the U.K. since that's where it's made, as I understand it.

Another vote here for Balkan Supreme as well. It's also a great smoke, and I believe it's blended by Peter Stokkebye and should be available in the EU.

If you can get Hearth & Home White Knight, either by ordering from the U.S. or finding it in the EU, it's an excellent blend and quite possibly my favorite in the English / Balkan genre. Well worth the effort to import a couple tins if you find yourself enjoying latakia blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.