PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Any bow hunters are archers here? My son wants to get a bow and I'm not a weapons guy. I don't hunt or know anything about this sort of thing. Where should I start? Is this something he can do safely in my backyard...I live in a traditional neighborhood! Any advise is greatly appreciated.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
When I read the title of this thread the first image which came to mind was as follows:
th

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
If you live near a Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, or Dick's Sporting Goods, I would check there. Backyard archery is as safe as the shooter, plenty of target systems available which will stop the arrows.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I would start at the nearest archery shop if you have one near by. They will be able to measure his draw length and set him up with a draw weight that he can pull comfortably and safely. There are several great starter sets out there that will come with a fully outfitted bow (bow, quiver, arrow rest, sight, arrows and possibly release). Many of the new compound bows are highly adjustable for draw length and draw weight so the bow can grow with him so to speak. It will also make a difference if he is interested in a traditional recurve bow or a compound bow. Lots of questions to be answered before making the purchase.
If you have neighbours beside and or behind you I would not recommend shooting a bow in your back yard. A stray/deflected arrow can travel quite far and injure/kill someone.
Hope this helps, Jim

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I would definitely start with going to an archery store and let them fit him for the right bow. I would also check your local ordinances. For instance where I live you need 500 feet around you, or permission from your neighbors. A stray arrow can be a bad thing.

My advice would be to see if the archery shop has a range and offers lessons. There might be a local 3D hunting range also.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
My daughter also shoots bow... I started, as others have stated, by taking her to an archery shop where she was fitted with the proper sized bow. She used to practice allot in the back yard.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Thanks mates. I called around and found two shops and one even has a 3d range twang. I think I'll stop in and see what they say. Thanks again. Did your children stay interested in the sport. Looks like a decent initial investment.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Dustmite where abouts are you. I have all those stores about 10-15 minutes from me also. Not sure how many places have all those in one place.

My two boys want to start lessons this winter and I thought it would be good to get them out. So I'm just going to start off with what ever is cheapest at this time. Cause all I need is more stuff they don't use laying around.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
When in school we used Genesis. Great starter for learning to shoot with a target. Important to know the safety and technique first. You learn it, then teach him.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
See if there is a 4H club in your area. Most have an archery project for kids up to 18. Great organization for kids.
I picked up this recurve for my 9 year old this summer.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/easton-beginner-archery-set.html

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
LOL, when I read the thread title I thought it read "advice on a BOWL for my eleven year old son". I was thinking dang he is hard core catch him young... at eleven!!

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Went to a shop today. They recommended a mission crave II. With all the bells and whistles $550 ish. Ugh. What are your thoughts? Should he start on a recurve or compound? The good thing about the crave is its so adjustable he can shoot it for years. Bad thing is the price.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If the idea is to have some one on one with your kid, maybe make one from scratch together. It will NOT be easy, but it can certainly be done. If you are alive today, one of your ancestors has hunted with a bow at some point. Get one or all of these books from the library, then, if you still want to try, go for it. By volume 4 they have their shit together and correct mistakes from the earlier volumes. It is a learning process and a skill, not for the faint of heart. I'd recommend not using power tools either. You'll have to teach appropriate knife handling and safety first, and that is a good starting point before introducing projectile weapons, in my opinion.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/traditional-bowyers-bible-complete-set-of-books.html
51LvJca-zgL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One more thing, these guys are not lightweights in the craft, they know as much about the subject as anyone alive today. Though, just as in briar pipe making, they don't always agree on the what "best" means. Happy Hunting !! :)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
@ drwatson, I live in Schuylkill county, about an hour north of Harrisburg, PA.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
$550 is no small amount but if you figure you won't have to replace it every two years while he's growing it is somewhat of a long term investment. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.