PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thecount

Lurker
May 3, 2021
Hello good folk of Pipes Magazine.

I am a new pipe smoker. "New" as in I am starting from the beginning.

Growing up, my father would smoke a pipe with some (to my limited knowledge) really nice tobacco on holidays. And over the years, he has collected a few quality pipes (from what I have read on this website). However, the one that stood out to me was his Churchwarden pipe. There's something so beautiful, rustic, and wise about it. The other ones are amazing as well, but his Churchwarden just speaks to me.

So, my question for you all: Do you have any recommendations for Churchwarden pipes with filters? I know there is already a thread for Churchwarden pipes, but I'm specifically looking for one that has a filter. I don't know if the purists condone filter-usage or not, but scientifically, it appeals to me. And seeing as my mouth and throat are quite fresh, I'd like to minimize the burn/inevitable risk, if at all possible.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wouldn't worry about the filter or burning your mouth too much. Pain is a good teacher it tells you to do it differently. But that's just my opinion. Also I find meerschaum does as much to cool smoke as any filter seems too and you can get a decent meerschaum churchwarden for not that much. I think the pipe locator at smoking pipes includes filters as a search criteria it certainly includes churchwardens.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A word of caution on Savinelli: currently there's a major shortage of balsa filters and there's no telling when the situation will change, if it ever does. If you do end up buying the Qandale, buy as many filters as you can get. IF you can get them. SPC, for instance is all out.

Reactions: thecount
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
A word of caution on Savinelli: currently there's a major shortage of balsa filters and there's no telling when the situation will change, if it ever does. If you do end up buying the Qandale, buy as many filters as you can get. IF you can get them. SPC, for instance is all out.
Thanks! I did not know that.

Reactions: FurCoat

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I have and love my Savinelli Black Rusticated Billiard Churchwarden (104). It doesn’t use a filter but with the stem length tongue burn was never an issue. I may be very wrong on this but I personally don’t think a piece of balsa wood will filter out anything health wise so it would only make for a cooler smoke which isn’t needed with a churchwarden. But that’s just my $0.02 and like I said I may be very wrong.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Thanks! I did not know that.
I read up on the balsa shortage. Covid has had an effect on harvesting and a large portion of balsa is used in the windmill industry. I bought 2 boxes of 300 during the Christmas sales so I'm good for a long time. I generally only use them on my yard cobs since I clench them. Most of my other pipes I use adapters if needed. Amazon had some recently for double the price of online pipe retailers. As of last week Tobaccopipes had packs of 20 in stock.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 1, 2014
Don't forget you can always curl up a bit of Pipe Cleaner and stick that in the Filter Slot.
In my opinion filters are there to absorb moisture more than anything else, and clipping of pipecleaner will do a very good job of that.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Don't forget you can always curl up a bit of Pipe Cleaner and stick that in the Filter Slot.
In my opinion filters are there to absorb moisture more than anything else, and clipping of pipecleaner will do a very good job of that.
If you do this though, I recommend running the bit of pipe cleaner through your fingers several times so no fluff comes off on your first few draws.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might be able to do without the filter by slow cadence and sipping rather than puffing, and not inhaling. Filter or no filter, churchwardens are the perfect pipes for smoking in an arm chair. They're not for holding in your mouth while walking around; you'll hit woodwork and furniture that way. But seated with your arm resting on the arm of the chair, smoking is an effortless process.