Adventures in Ridiculousness- My First Meer!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Arrgh! :mrgreen:
meer1-550x600.jpg

meer2-600x450.jpg

LINK
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just closed the auction. Gotta wait for the postal service to bring it... :?
Any way to tell if it's carved or pressed by looking?
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Strictly a guess zooming in on the droid, but looks carved to me. I'm no expert on whether pressed 'schaum can be successfully carved intricately or not, though. Looks spiffy!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How does the moisture test work?
For the price I surely won't gripe either way, just curious.
If anyone recognizes any identifying features please enlighten me. (origin, maker, material, etc)
jay-roger.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Lick your finger and touch it to the inside of the bowl. If it's sticky, you have block meerschaum

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you know if it has a screw-in or push bit? Does it have a case? If it was a good deal, it's a way to wade into Meerschaum if you haven't before. I sense that it is tricky to know fair prices when you are willing to pay a little more. Some retailers just charge more. My taste for the macabre has faded since adolescence, but as skulls go, that's a good one. Alas, poor Yorik. You need to fish out that speech from Hamlet, the graveyard scene, while holding the skull facing you. It would really wake up the pipe club.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No case was mentioned and unsure of tenon type. It's unused and $25, so I feel it's hard to lose on this deal. The fact that the seller is not a "pipe guy" also makes it a bit of a wild card. Could be really nice or really bad...
I didn't see macabre as much as hilarity. Look at the expression! That's how I feel half the time, shuffling through the throngs of... well, never mind. Let's keep it nice in here. :puffy:
And good teeth! Bonehead must have had great oral hygiene. I will have to photograph one of my tattoos later to help you understand just how bent I am...
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
A fitting pipe for a pirate, Jay. Will it's maiden smoke be the 'Frigate?' I'm looking forward to hearing how it smokes. Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Sweet! The eyes will glow fiery red after they break through!
About 12 years ago, I had a tattoo concept. I wanted a Jolly Roger sort, but the skull would have perfect teeth and instead of cross bones or swords, I wanted crossed toothbrushes.
None of my art friends would take me seriously. After 2 or 3 declined to draw it up, I went to a stranger who finally did so. She even improvised a bit. I was pleased and commissioned the piece:
tattoo.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Jay, I gots one thing to say: you're awd. But then of course we all knew that to start. :twisted:
"No case was mentioned" -- I hate saying it, but if they didn't mention a case, I'm afeared it may not be block. Like the dudes've said, do the wet-finger test once you get it. Either way, though, for 2.5 sawbucks you're right -- couldn't go *too* far wrong. Gluck widdit!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm still poking around the web trying to find one similar for comparison. No luck yet but this quote from a website selling a skull meerschaum was entertaining:
"The skull is a favorite design, held in high esteem by pipe collectors and the FDA alike for its unambiguous message." :rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
That's a crackup. Nice to see a vendor with a sense of delicious ironic humor.
BTW, didn't tell you earlier, but that ink's slick too. :mrgreen:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
So, I found this other eBay posting with a stem that looks similar in color and texture and even has a similar thin metal spacer between stem and shank.
The posting says it's bakelite. I'm on a Kindle, so please forgive the LINK in lieu of pics. Am I getting warmer?
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, bnichols. Not bad work for someone I met at a coffee house who worked out of her dining room. :crazy:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.