PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hi all. I have about 1.5 pounds of H&H Anni Kake in the cellar. I like it, so I recently acquired another 1.5 pounds to put up. I usually do this by dividing into 2oz Mason jars.
Recently I've fallen in love with Frog Morton On The Town and it's peaked my interest in sweeter Virginia forward oriental blends with a hint of Latakia. I've been experimenting trying a few different blends with Orientals and I really think what I like is the Drama/Basma leaf. Sweet, spicy, just a hint of smoky is becoming my "jam".
So I've had the thought of taking a couple of jars of this anniversary cake I'm about to put in the celler and adding in some of these components and just seeing where it shakes out in a couple years. Which leads me to a few questions for all of you:
1. Good idea? Bad idea?

2. Can straight Basma leaf be purchased for blending?

3. What kind of ratios would you mix in?. The base mix would be 2oz. Anni Kake. How much oriental/Latakia?
Would love your thoughts.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I could probably comfortably wing the Lat....it's the oriental I really don't know."
From P&C Make Your Own Blend:
Oriental

About the component:

Oriental tobaccos are higher in oils than Virginias, but are lower in sugar. They have an almost floral taste, similar to sweet herbs, and a musty undertone. Though they can smoked straight, they’re wonderful in combination with other tobaccos.
Orientals

Blends well with:

Orientals blend well with Virginias and Latakia. They can also be blended with other tobaccos, but the flavors can clash with aromatics.
Cautions:

Their naturally richer flavors can dominate when used in excess of 30% of a blend.

Other notes:

Orientals are what makes a Balkan-style blend what it is. The small-leaf, air-cured varietals amplify the flavor and aroma of Latakia to become almost like incense.
Latakia

About the component:

Latakia is an earthy, smoky tobacco that’s made by hanging Turkish leaf over open, aromatic wood fires. Though it has a strong and pungent aroma, the flavor is woody and campfire-like.
Blends well with:

Latakia goes well with almost any other tobacco.
Cautions:

It can clash with very sweet tobaccos, and may cause a muddled aroma when used with many aromatics.

It burns very slowly, so it’s best when blended with Virginias, Orientals, and Burleys so that it’s more likely to stay lit.
Other notes:

Orientals tend to amplify the flavor and aroma of Latakia, bringing it to an incense-like state. When used in smaller amounts, Latakia can add body to a blend without dominating the flavor.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Weigh out, or use measuring cups to make up a small sample. If you like it, mix up a big batch and store it.

I'm not sure if anyone sells a Basma type tobacco (like Xanthi Yaka). I think (but am not sure) that Prilep is a Basma type. It can be obtained from Whole Leaf Tobacco Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.