PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Were the stingers still intact on any of the 9242's you've restored?
The feel in my hand and the clench of the new standard I have truly is Holy Grail status but I can't get the stinger out of the stem and I can't tell if it's because someone glued it in there, or if that's how it was manufactured.

It truly is a bother to smoke and no amount of soaking, pipe cleaning or pressurized air blowing has made much of a difference in how much you can draw through it. I really should just get a replacement made but have reservations about sending it off and potentially never seeing it again..
I've never seen a stinger in any previous 9242 (or 9438,etc.) but this one curiously had one. I assumed the owner put it in? It was a friction fit and I pulled it right out. Try putting an alcohol soaked cleaner in the stem, and letting some alcohol seep in around the stinger. Or, apply a little heat and it should gently twist out. I also wouldn't want to smoke it with the stinger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is an outstanding pipe. The gold oval seems to be where GBD collectors/smokers draw the line. Iwan Ries has the silver oval (new) GBD's at "half price," which is 60 USD. I suspect they are pretty good pipes, but they get no respect from the gold oval people. Likewise, all of the panache of Kaywoodie pipes has evaporated, although in my experience, they still make a superior pipe, nicely finished, well drilled, thin-walled yet surprisingly well insulated. It's hard to sort out which brands have actually gone South, and which simply don't have the marketing and distribution from the past. But those gold oval GBD's are impressive; I really like the heft.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't see Iwan Ries having any GBD pipes at all or on sale? Is there a link to the page?

That is an outstanding pipe. The gold oval seems to be where GBD collectors/smokers draw the line. Iwan Ries has the silver oval (new) GBD's at "half price," which is 60 USD. I suspect they are pretty good pipes, but they get no respect from the gold oval people. Likewise, all of the panache of Kaywoodie pipes has evaporated, although in my experience, they still make a superior pipe, nicely finished, well drilled, thin-walled yet surprisingly well insulated. It's hard to sort out which brands have actually gone South, and which simply don't have the marketing and distribution from the past. But those gold oval GBD's are impressive; I really like the heft.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, advance search found them.
I've never tried one, but handled them in person at Cigars Unlimited in PA. They seemed well made. I suspect one could do a lot worse for $60, if one had to have a new pipe.
Those are "stamped" logo versus a rondell logo. Many of my older GBD's have silver and some brass/gold rondells, I don't believe there was a distinction between the two.