12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Could anyone please tell me what the adaptors do in the Savinelli pipes? Also, which filters work best: the balsa wood, or the charcoal. Thanks. LeRoy
The adapter just constricts the draw down to a normal straight drilled draft. I prefer them to be more open, but it does make it harder to clean that empty chamber in the draft.

Charcoal and balsa do two different things. The charcoal filters are a true filter, in that it pulls the smoke through a chamber of compact charcoal bits that removes... stuff... mostly flavors. But, balsa just has some of the smoke go along it's surface and leave behind condensation, so it removes just the water/steam from the smoke, making the smoke less bitey. But, I find that just drying my tobacco does all I need for a filter to do, so I don't use them, unless I come across a really strong blend that i want to play around with, I may try a balsa or charcoal with it to see what i get. But, I usually don't repeatedly smoke a blend that is that harsh more than a few times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can smoke Savinelli and Rossi filter pipes without a filter, for a wide open draw, or with an adapter for a more focused but still open draw. I'd try them both to see which you like. I use the 6mm adaptor for Dr. Grabow pipes as well, for the same purpose. But no filter or adaptor works fine, if that's your preference. I have an Austrian Kemperling 9mm filter pipe that I smoke without a filter or adaptor and it's excellent.