PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I favor acrylic stems, more-so after noticing a heavy amount of oxidation on my Peterson Irish Whiskey bulldog today, but I'm hesitant to add softie bits to acrylic stems, especially if they're a brilliant color pattern.
The issue: I like clenching my pipes while I write. The tap of keystrokes, a cup of coffee, and a pungent pipe hanging from my mouth makes me content with life. My larger acrylic stem pipes are usually hand-held and sipped, but I've caught myself trying to hold the smaller billiards in my front teeth while I work. I'm paranoid that I'll cause chatter marks or otherwise damage the stems, so I kind of let the button rest against the roof of my mouth, while my bottom teeth tuck behind my lips. I can only imagine how ridiculous I look, feeling rather ludicrous doing it at times.
So, acrylic: how stern in the stuff, really? Will my teeth chip before the stem? Or am I thinking it out too much?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Teeth will leave chatter on acrylic too. Most of my collection, however, is far too large to clench and I prefer cumberland.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find acrylic stems comfortable, however teeth grinding against teeth can cause dental problems if it is continual and hard enough, so the idea is not to grind your teeth on any pipe bit, or on other teeth for that matter. This is a matter of cultivating habits of not bearing down too hard. If you just can't help yourself, then the softies are probably a good idea. I don't think this is a materials problem but a behavioral one.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I concur with the "don't bite too hard" advice. Your milage may vary; I've found that it doesn't take much to put chatter marks on an acrylic stem, but it's easier to put the point of a bicuspid through vulcanite.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's a good chance I'll never buy a pipe with a vulcanite stem again. The oxidization issue is just too annoying. Not only because of the look of it, but more importantly because of the sour taste. One smoke that tastes like a burning tire is one too many. Acrylic is my new default choice.
While acrylic is harder than vulcanite, it can definitely still take dents. I rarely smoke hands-free, but when I do I employ a method of clenching in which I delicately grasp the pipe with the dry part of my lips curved inward. Looks a little goofy and can get tiring if not done properly, but hey, there isn't an ounce of tooth chatter on any of my pipes.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I'm a clencher. While I like Vulcanite for the "softness", most of my primary rotation is Acrylic of some sort. Like Mike, I can't deal with the damn oxidation headache. As for chatter... I don't give a crap. I smoke my pipes to smoke them. I don't intend to sell them to the highest bidder, so if they have a few "use" marks on the stem, no harm.
As always though, to each his own.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thank you to everyone for the valuable insights. I think the best solution is for me to buy more pokers with acrylic stems. Yup, another problem remedied by buying more pipes... and maybe add a couple tins of those two new Dunhill blends to the order.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I try to buy pipes that have acrylic stems because I hate the oxidation on vulcanite stems. All my acrylic stemmed pipes have held up really good, but there is a very good reason why. I only smoke my pipes when I'm not wearing my dentures and all my stems have softies on them. Kind of hard to clench a stem when not wearing dentures and I do love to clench.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some pipes I want that come with vulcanite stems so I make a routine of polishing each pipe, vulcanite or acrylic, after every use. The vulcanite ones require a little more attention, and something mildly abrasive from time to time. Vulcanite is soft and comfortable, but no one likes the oxidation.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
There are some pipes I want that come with vulcanite stems...
I agree. One of my personal favorite lines is the Peterson Mark Twain (& Huck Finn poker) Collection, and they are all vulcanite stems. In the past, I'd not had a huge issue with oxidation, as I try to maintain my pipes; however, after one bowl of Irish Oak, followed by a relaxed cleaning routine, my beautiful Peterson Irish Whiskey Rhodesian oxidized in under a couple of hours.
Lesson learned.
I'll be trying the Magic Eraser method to buff the shine back in, as I want to preserve as much of the stem (and Peterson 'P') as I can. The discoloration occurred mainly down around the p-lip, so fingers crossed. I think I'll also start using something extra on the stems, once a week, after they're cleaned and polished.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Because I am relatively new to smoking, I just started out with the rubber nubby things. I figure it will save my pipes and my teeth. The only nekked pipes I smoke are a couple of old pipes from my office days (a Medico and a Grabow) with vulcanite, and my cobs, which I don't mind chewing up.
I have found that my cob stems get chewed up fairly quickly, but that is likely because most of my cob smokes are taken when I am active. ie. walking the dog, etc.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
An alternative stem material like juma might be good for you. It is softer than acrylic and doesnt oxidize.

Status
Not open for further replies.