PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
So I returned the pretty green lighter with the crack in it. Unfortunately the store can't issue cash refunds, but since we shop there a lot they were willing to give us in-store credit (oh woe is me) So I spent my $150 on a nice, cheep little lighter and this lovely Peterson. ((it was either this one or the Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson pipe set)) Unfortunately the pictures can't quite capture the richness of the actual color, but they are close. They call the color "Irish Sea" ^_^
GreenMachine6.jpg

GreenMachine5.jpg

GreenMachine4.jpg

GreenMachine3.jpg

GreenMachine2.jpg

GreenMachine.jpg

I do have three questions about the pipe though.

It doesn't profess to be a System pipe, but it does look like it has a small reservoir that makes feeding a pipe cleaner through it next to impossible. I can't tell if it is a military mount or not, I noticed it has a metal band around where the shank goes. So can I treat this like a military mount or will the shank crack if I do.

And the last thing, I noticed a small light green speck on the top of the bowl. At first I thought it was just dust, but it is stuck... do you think it is a fill? Is it something I should worry about? it's really small... lol

MeanGreenFill.jpg

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Gorgeous pipe Red, I really like it, the small spot looks like A fill, it shouldn't hurt the pipe

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very nice pipe Red.

I like the color.

I don't think its a military bit.

Military bits usually (correct me if I'm wrong guys) don't have any wood in contact with the stem. It's either nickel or silver. That's so the stem makes a good seal without becoming loose over time. Because, they are designed to be taken apart hot and put in a pocket.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Beautiful pipe. I love that B10 shape. I think they got the green color from my face when I was out at sea the one and ONLY time many years ago. That looks to be a small fill. nothing to worry about at all.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Beautiful pipe. Love that green stain against fine cross grain. Really does give you that wooshing water effect...Irish sea indeed. As far as it being a military mount, I am not sure. I would have to see the stem. I am inclined to agree with Pstlpkr. Then again, my 1 and only military mount does have wood in contact with the stem. But he stem itself is to be simply pushed into the shank...I guess it is more wedged into the metal clad shank rather than fitted into a hole. Hard to explain so see the pic.
dscf9031-600x392.jpg

See how the stem does is not machined to a long cylinder like peg that fits into a long cylinder like drilled hole in the shank of the pipe?

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Nice pipe, I was looking at those when shopping for a Peterson just last week.
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it’s a white speck in the finish. A “fill”, as you probably know is wood putty and usually just a shade darker or lighter than the actual briar because it absorbs stain at a different rate.
I was told that a military mounted pipe is one that can be broken down in a hurry without fear of cracking the wooden shank cause it’s still hot. The stem is slightly tapered and press-fitted into the metal re-inforced shank instead of a mortise/tenon fit like most other stems.
Slightly off-topic but; The story I heard is the men in the cavalry often broke pipes in an effort to put them away while on horseback. A lot of times the guys would re-inforce their own shanks with brass shell casings either as a repair or a preventative measure.

The military sought out a design for a pipe that would quickly break down without the tendency for breaking the shank or stem.

Peterson's design was chosen and they were awarded the contract to supply the new military mounted pipes.
*edit* I'd be interested to know when this supposedly happened, there were times in recent history that I can't imagine the English awarding much of anything to a Dublin Company.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I like the green color of the Irish sea pipes.

Your pipe is not a Army (military) mount. The metal band is for decoration only. Ohin's picture shows a true Army mount. Notice the tapered stem in his pic. By taking that pipe apart while, warm you risk loosening the stem.

Tommy, your story is correct. Peterson had been making military mounted pipes since 1890 (their system pipes are military mounts) and it was a simple thing for them to add straight pipes for those the prefered them.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pipe Red!
I really like the color of it. That must be your favorite color because it is really close to the color of the lighter than you returned. Enjoy smoking it!

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
She smokes like a dream. Very smooth and cool. Though there is a gurgle about half way though that is a bit annoying, and since the pipe cleaner can't be put all the way though it doesn't really go away. But other than that, it is a wonderful pipe. I'm breaking it in with English blends...so if anyone has some recommendations of things I should pick up, I would appreciate it. ^_^

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
Tommy

"You mean like Tobacco recommendations?
(I gotta ask,..is that your eye in your avatar?)"
Yes to both.

Penguin only has a few English blends that I really like so far, I'm planning to make this pipe an English... so I was hoping for some good English tobacco recommendations to try in it.
...That is my eye... I've always been fond of the damn picture, it was a strangely lighted day at the Manato Gardens and it just turned out cool. lol

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks! :)

I can recommend a few that I like a lot, I'm just now falling in love with English blends myself. Altadis, available at PipesandCigars.com, makes three English blends that I really enjoyed, Light English, Medium English, and Majestic English. They were offered as part of an "English Sampler" that I think was called "Strictly English". It was a very enjoyable introduction.

Since then I've moved on to stronger English blends, but will try to keep the aforementioned in stock here at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.