PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
It makes sense that when I light my pipe, I fill my mouth with smoke but not inhale. Under that formula, it would not have any bad effects. But still would like to know what you guys do. Mcitinner1-"Never give it a thought. I'm smoking tobacco, so I don't care." I like your answer.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Just thought you were not interested in smoking,tobbaco and pipes, Old School that I am the thought came to me, new guy wants Huffing info. Again if I'm wrong I apoligize.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Noob opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it:
I understand the reasoning behind preferring matches, the "cleanest light", after the sulfur burns off.
I do read comments about using Zippo style lighters being okay and maybe looking down a bit on the use of butane lighters.
From my personal experience, however, I find butane to have less flavor impact than the Zippo style. Maybe it's just my taste buds, I dunno.
At risk of hijacking your thread, wizard, maybe this can morph into a discussion about everyone's preferred ignition tool and why?
Tbradsim1- What forum should I be on?
Based on your odd thread title wording, as already implied by ashdigger, some of the less fortunate kids like to inhale unburnt butane for the cheap high known as "huffing". A short lived rush that kills more brain cells faster than binge watching CSPAN. The joke being that you find a forum for "huffers" and other miscreants...
Jay :nana:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Arc we've had a Teenager from my area die from inhaling Freon, that was where I'm coming from, let's do. a Hillary reset, Welcome , don't sweat the amount of Butane you inhale worry about how much tobbaco you can store, how many pipes you can buy. :laughat:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Archangel, sorry I took you question the way I did, but I've seen the worst in people and this is a relatively open forum. The butane gas is fine for use in a lighter and doesn't have any negligible effect after combustion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never thought about it given that I smoke outdoors and use a BIC when not using a match. It's not like the gas is just running all the time. You open the valve when you activate the flint on these and the gas is burning for the few seconds you're lighting.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Thanks guys for your input. It never occurred to me to inhale butane to get high. I am 61 years old & the thought of doing that makes me cringe. lol :puffpipe:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another p.o.v.: The flame itself never need touch the tobacco. The superheated air at the tip is plenty hot to ignite tobacco unless it's soggy! That's true of matches, butane, lighter fluid, even acetelene torches. The distance from the tobacco is a function of the BTU's at the tip- pretty far for welding torches! :) Matches, least heat, but plenty. Butane torches hottest, have to be careful. I generally use soft butane.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I find that this works well for lighting a pipe:
FXi75mA.jpg

victorybiker

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Anytime you wish to learn about a specific chemical compound, its characteristics, its associated hazards/dangers, and other miscellaneous information, simply Google that compound's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)(e.g., Google the phrase "butane MSDS" or "n-butane MSDS"). It will tell you all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.