PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I don't know if the majority of you smokes with a filter or not. I own two pipes both of them with the classic charcoal filters. Do you guys swap the filters after each smoke or keep them for a second or even third? Also, has anyone out there used a pipe that has a filter without it?

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I will sometimes use balsa filters in Dr Grabow pipes if it's humid out, and even a paper filter if I don't have a balsa. I routinely smoke my filtered pipes without the filter, but in some pipes I have noticed the shank gets swamped out a bit. Number of uses are really up to you, as filter life can vary depending on a lot of things. There are no rules, so do whatever seems right to you - if the filter stops flowing or tasting good replace it, or have a go without to see how it smokes.

Reactions: STP

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I have a few pipes that use filters and I change the filters about every 3rd smoke. Sometimes I only smoke half a bowl so I keep that filter.
I have smoked the pipes without using a filter but there is just too much draw for me and it just doesn't feel good. It can be done but I don't like it.

Reactions: telescopes and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a bunch of Savinelli pipes w/the 6mm balsa and charcoal filters, but I mostly use the adapter or nothing at all. I actually prefer pipes without filters. I know that they help with moisture and limit some of the “bad stuff”, but they seem to be more of a PITA, or maybe I’m just getting lazy.

Reactions: badbeard

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I prefer not to use a filter. I like to run a pipe cleaner down to the bowl several times during a smoke and filters get in the way. I try them on occasion and wind up hitting them with a pipe cleaner. Can’t remember I’m using a filter and habit takes over.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Almost all of my pipes are 6mm. I mostly use the balsa style but as those are currently out of stock globally, Iv used the savinelli charcoal a few times as well. I put a new one in every time to keep it fresh.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't use filters in any of my pipes. For the pipes that can accommodate filters, I just smoke them as is, with no adapter and make sure to clean the open area very well when I'm done.

I find that filters mess with my cadence and draw too much and the carbon ones have a negative effect on the taste for me.

Reactions: brian64

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Depends on the blend. Usually the only reason I prefer to have a filter is when I know a blend will produce lots of moisture. In that case, the Medico paper filters are great but my favorite is the Brigham rock maple system. Alot of people crap on it but it perfectly absorbs all the moisture while leaving the full flavor of the smoke.

They can be washed, dried, and reused dozens of times and if you have a blend that's dry enough, just remove it and smoke the pipe as normal. Truly one of the best most versatile pipes around, imo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most filter pipes will smoke well enough without a filter. If they seem too open in draw, you can add an adaptor in the appropriate size (6 mm, 9 mm, etc.) to tighten the draw just a little. I rarely use filters, because I smoke only a bowl a day mostly. The only places I might choose to use them are at a pipe show or a pipe club where I would tend to smoke more than usual. I'd say several bowls per filter should be appropriate, depending on how they taste.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't use filters in any of my pipes. For the pipes that can accommodate filters, I just smoke them as is, with no adapter and make sure to clean the open area very well when I'm done.

I find that filters mess with my cadence and draw too much and the carbon ones have a negative effect on the taste for me.
The above is the same for me. I have several 9mm meers and they smoke great without a filter. I've had issues with meers being too restricted and had to drill a couple of them. I find the 9mm meers accommodate "breath smoking" very well with little to no intentional draw through the mouth and stay lit (I have a very low tolerance for multiple relights). Only one of them seemed a bit too open at first, but I've gotten to know that pipe well now and have no problem smoking it filterless either.

Reactions: NomadOrb

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I got my Grabow I smoked for an entire year, I started getting into the balsa wood filters. Now I actually prefer them, as I'm a wet smoker, who prefers his tobacco very dry and crumbly. So moisture and bits of tobacco are all saved by the filter. I won't smoke that pipe or any filter pipe without them.

Reactions: fireground_piper