PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleboo

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
I was shopping for a pipe stand and came to the conclusion that most of what I saw was way overpriced for what it was. I searched my garage and found a 1x4x3' piece of pine. With a handsaw, a drill, and an hour I came up with this.

It's not finished but I think it'll work fine and the price was free!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Looking good.
Are you going to stain it?
Maybe consider taking a large flamethrower to it?
Kick it down a few flights of stairs for a nice beat up look.
Give it to the dog to bite some character and pain into it. She'll get a hold of it sooner or later.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Excellent work! I like that it's just a very straightforward design. It holds pipes. As Frank Lloyd Wright used to say, "Form Follows Function, where Form and Function are One".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great. The simplicity adds to the design. The finish possibilities are endless, including leaving it raw. I'd

probably go for stain but no varnish, maybe a light coating of linseed or similar oil, or just the stain.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Very nice work! Racks I see online are overpriced in so many cases. I've been kicking around the idea of putting something together. I could use a 36 pipe rack really bad.

grrrrr609

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
Now I like that. You are right. I cant find squat in pipe racks that either a) I like or b) that would actually work in my setup. I may just have to copy your idea if u dont mind.

uncleboo

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
I've finished and now you can tell I'm no artisan. I spent a whopping .29 cents on a piece of green felt and lined the holes and rests. I think it would have looked better natural but it's too late now lol. For a grand total of one scrap piece of wood and .29 cents I'm happy. Now I need more pipes!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
It may be that you are no artisan, but it looks pretty good to me and I think you should be proud. A very nice, simple design. Well done.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I love it, it looks good and does exactly what it was intended to do. Nice work sir.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Build it and they will come. Just because you don't have enough pipes, shouldn't stop you from building it! Build it, and the pipes will quickly fill it up I'm sure!

Good job for a side project!
Shutterbug

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums.
That looks great. How did you cut/drill the holes the stems rest in?
Dan

uncleboo

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
I used a 1" paddle bit for the bottom holes and a 7/8" paddle bit for the rest holes. For the rest holes I drilled close to the edge of the board from both side so it would't split then ripped the board lengthwise with a handsaw. If I had a table saw it would have turned out better but worked with the tools I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.