PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
nording-c-escudodnf-600x450.jpg

I rubbed out Dunhill Navy flake and packed some Escudo (rubbed out) on top of it in my big Nording Moss F freehand. I've started doing this not too long ago, and I really enjoy it. The bowl is so big, it's nice to mix it up sometimes. Now, we'll see if I can get it to last over an hour. I'm still working on my slow smoking pace, I've been doing better, but still haven't managed to get this pipe to last an hour. I'm up to about 45minutes.
How about you guys? Have you experimented with layering, or a parfait? Do you have any favorite combinations?

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
My pipe mentor would say that he'd save all the bits and pieces left over from a bag and mix them all together. I've only done this when in a pinch. Sometimes it's great and sometimes awful. Sometimes I'll mix stuff I like into stuff I tried and didn't really like. It's a shame to waste tabac or money.

I've never really thought about packing one on top of the other. I'll have to give it a try

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I've been putting a small pinch of Five Brothers at the bottom and top of some of my bowls. The cut is great for starting a fire, and for filtering out the tiny little bits and ash at the bottom of the bowl. Doesn't do much for flavour, but when it finally burns out and the tobacco in the middle really hits it's a nice contrast.
Like drinking a Budweiser and following it up with a Heineken.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Never layered before, and honestly no real desire to. Just doesn't seem right to me. I do blend, though. 50/50 Ennerdale Flake with 1792 Flake is one of my regulars. I blend it up and let it sit a couple months. If I smoke it fresh, it's crap, but after letting it meld for a couple months, almost tastes like my favorite- Condor.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Well, after having smoked this for a little over an hour (success!), I can say that the 1st half (Escudo) was very good. When I got to the Dunhill Flake, I could not taste the hints of chocolate I'd noticed before. I'm thinking maybe the Escudo affected it in that way. Perhaps, next time, I'll try it the other way around.
Another combo I've tried, and liked, is PS LNF on top of PS LTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.