PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
It was nice to break the ice. I lit my first bowl. Over and over and over. LoL. I set out to start slow and learn the art slowly. I want to be Zen-like. And thanks to CosmicFolklore, his post was fascinating. I've read it several times. It rings as a personal truth.

Having said that, I am going slow. I haven't smoked an entire bowl yet. I purposely take a few zips and then rest. In doing so, I still had a loaded pipe. So I would occasionally take my pipe with the bowl and without lighting it, I would zip. It is a wonderful way of capturing the smokey-sweet taste (i.e. cup cake from Boswell). I find this to be a nice way of learning the art of tasting the art. Like tasting wine.

Is this crazy or am I somewhere near to our relatives of old?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Hey if you’re enjoying it you’re doing it right. Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise.

This x1000. But seriously, feel free to double, or hell even triple your pace.

Just remember the advice from LeafErikson because you’re going to hear a thousand different opinions and rules. At the end of the day, what he suggested is all that matters.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
You can go as slow as you want, but you won't be the Zen Master in a year. If you wanna be a Zen (which I am not), you're better off just making mistakes, and learning from them. But, if that's the way you enjoy your new hobby, then do that.

Reactions: kqdog

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
You can go as slow as you want, but you won't be the Zen Master in a year. If you wanna be a Zen (which I am not), you're better off just making mistakes, and learning from them. But, if that's the way you enjoy your new hobby, then do that.
So true new friend. I have read about the many mistakes to come. I embrace them. I don't think I'll be a Zen master for a few lifetimes. :)

Reactions: Coreios

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
I would not have thought to take such small steps when getting into smoking a pipe, but your approach has much to recommend it. If I remember right, my first bowl involved tongue bite, lots of relights, dizzying nausea, and a big wad of wet dottle at the end. Things only got better from there. ;)
You sound like someone I can learn from. Thanks for your transparency.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
This x1000. But seriously, feel free to double, or hell even triple your pace.

Just remember the advice from LeafErikson because you’re going to hear a thousand different opinions and rules. At the end of the day, what he suggested is all that matters.
Barrel, you are wise my new friend. But don't worry. At just about sixty, I've been around. I'll hold my own well. While I am learning, I'm not needy. Don't need any folk who think I need them. But my sticking my neck out I get to find cool people like you. Stay well.