PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Free root beer floats today! They're also collecting donations for the wounded warriors project. That is all.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
No prob. I happen to live a couple miles from the original location.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Damn ... closest one is almost a 45 minute drive! :(
Back in the olden days I played Little League on the A&W team.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
No A&W close to me but i will make my own in spirit of the day. Sounds great I don't think I've had one since I was a kid.

Aug 14, 2012
One day, when I was a child, I was digging in the woods and turned up a root that smelled exactly like root beer. I don't know what the plant was called. Fast forward about 15-20 years and I was riding cross country on a BMW R69S. Somewhere on Route 66 (this was the 1960s) I saw a roadside stand with a big sign that said ROOT BEER. I stopped. It tasted exactly like that root smelled. It was made of roots. It was incredible. Since then I have been searching for another real root beer and have never found one. The ingredients never list roots and the taste is only vaguely similar. Can someone explain why even the most expensive root beer is no longer made of these roots, and do you know what the plant is called?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bruce that root is from the sassafras tree, modern days the roots oils are believed to cancer carrying oils so artificial substances are used, and probably the artificial stuff will give you more cancer. Ain't that the shits.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
FYI this thread was bumped from a month ago, National Root Beer day has passed.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
TOTALLY Psyched about Rootbeer floats. Not sure where you get the real McCoy, Foggy, other than from someones garage. It is made of Sassafras, btw.
Also: if you are compelled to donate to charities that benefit my brothers and sisters in arms, do a bit of research. I have found that 36% of income going to fundraising isn't ideal for my donation preferences.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Darn it! I had this all typed up, but didnt hit send at the office, was sucked into business and Brad beat me to it. lol

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You can still buy Sarsaparilla here and there.
Here's a quick search result:
http://maineroot.com/sodas/sarsaparilla/
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/Sioux-City-Sarsaparilla-6-Pack.aspx?afid=15&gclid=CIGx75C2-MACFU1cfgod8YoAeQ

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
As an aside fact File Gumbo the dried powdered leaves of the Sasafras tree is used as a remedy for acne, bad pimple make a paste with file and apply holding it with the bandage and whamo dries up the pimple, wife used that on our teenagers and local Dr called her one day for her remedy. LOL A mini Marie Lavouhe.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^^ One of the greatest losses to Modern Medicine: The poultice.
Or: "The Poultice, Drawing things out since cave man times."
Lol

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
You can still buy Sarsaparilla here and there.
Here's a quick search result:
http://maineroot.com/sodas/sarsaparilla/
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/Sioux-City-Sarsaparilla-6-Pack.aspx?afid=15&gclid=CIGx75C2-MACFU1cfgod8YoAeQ
Nope, Sioux City is the plain old garbage the rest use "Purified carbonated water, pure cane sugar, carmel color, citric acid, sodium benzoate (as a preservative), natural and artificial flavor" The Maine stuff says it's cloves and wintergreen with no mention of sassafras root. "The flavor in sassafras, safrole, has been banned by the FDA as a likely carcinogen." so it's illegal to sell the real deal in America.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have to watch my sugar, but I do love a good root beer float, with real sugar root beer (no fructose etc.)

and real cream ice cream. None of that stuff made out of petroleum that won't melt in the container, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.