PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I thought folks might enjoy reading this:'https://jewishjournal.com/opinion/184292/)'

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Does anybody know when the website upgrade is finally going to arrive. Negotiating this site is very difficult. How do you make a link live?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Click the URL button, paste the URL into the field, hit OK, add your link text, click ok. Or you can type your link text, select it, hit the URL button, paste the URL, hit OK, and your selected text will be the link text.
Cigars and the little joys in life...
Frankly, the article doesn't do it for me. I find the whole "my drug is better than your drug" argument tedious. Tobacco is a drug. Get over it. Tobacco users are not inherently morally superior to drinkers or marijuana smokers or whatever.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love Prager, everything in moderation. I would so enjoy smoking a pipe with him someday and hanging out in a tobacco shop.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Thanks for posting that.

I wished he had balanced the article 50:50 between emphasis on cigars and pipes, but nowadays I’ll take anything positive we can get !

(Perhaps the author isn’t a frequent pipe smoker.)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Frankly, the article doesn't do it for me. I find the whole "my drug is better than your drug" argument tedious. Tobacco is a drug. Get over it. Tobacco users are not inherently morally superior to drinkers or marijuana smokers or whatever.
This. All drugs are drugs, nicotine and tobacco included. It is how they are used, how often, by whom, and at what time that make all the difference.
Are some quantitatively less risky than others? Sure. But they all present some measure of health risk ranging from miniscule to significant based on the above variables.
Are some of those risks misrepresented with some drugs more than others? Sure. But the bottom line is that you can smoke a cigarette or do heroin once and you'll probably be fine. Do either one ten times a day for your whole life, and you will likely die earlier than you would have otherwise.
Or maybe you won't. Roll the bones...
I get his frustration though. No use of any kind is going to be one size fits all from an education/prevention standpoint, and people like to err on the side of goal zero.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wonderful article...enjoyed it a lot...thanks for posting.
And I really love the way it ended:
Burns looked at me and responded, “My doctor is dead.”
LOL

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Nice to see some common sense about pipes and cigars. I wish we could get some politicians making similar public statements. I suspect there are quite a few of them who agree with Prager, but don't speak up much about it in public since the anti-tobacco lobby is so vocal and aggressive in promoting their moral panic about tobacco use in all forms. We all know that it was probably politicians who got the "premium cigars" exceptions carved out in the new FDA regulations. If only more politicians smoked pipes, or let the pipe industry piggy back on the "premium cigar" exceptions. Good article. Thanks for posting.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Husky: You posted the above as a quote, but I can't find where it's taken from.

And what does that mean, please?
Not to speak for the man, but depending on what social circles you run in, and probably depending on your age, people who don't drink at all are often thought of as boring teetotaler party poopers. I suspect that's what he meant.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Alcohol is the only drug you have to defend not using.

Husky: You posted the above as a quote, but I can't find where it's taken from.
And what does that mean, please?
I'm sorry that I was confusing! I should have used "...".

It is not a quote from this thread but a quote from somewhere else.

The meaning, as I interpret it, is that drinking alcohol is so not questioned that if you don't drink

you feel compelled to give an explanation, I'm pregnant, I'm driving or some other reason.

If you simply say "I don't drink" you are almost expected to give a further explanation "why not?".

Status
Not open for further replies.