PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
A very long shot but a beautiful pipe to look at. Does the note and initials mean anything as far as maker? I collected antique large pipes. This baby is beautiful and scares me to smoke but I should have a professional clean it. I think it's amber stem but not exactly sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Casual and username

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
My attitude is that pipes are meant to be smoked and was thinking that as I read your post . . . until I saw the pic.
Wow, what a pipe. Yes, I see your dilemma.

I've not anything so fancy but if I did choose to light up a piece of art like yours, I'd only smoke it sitting in my lounge chair where if it did fall, it would land on the carpet.

From what I can tell from the pic it's in really good condition.
Although I have a little experience restoring and cleaning estate pipes, no way would I even attempt to clean yours [in case I did something stupid] so would definitely send yours to a professional.

The note suggests it was gifted in 1914. Apart from that I have no idea [at a guess I'd say it was a gift from one friend to another]

Do you mind sharing what a magnificent pipe like that costs?

Last edited:

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
My attitude is that pipes are meant to be smoked and was thinking that as I read your post . . . until I saw the pic.
Wow, what a pipe. Yes, I see your dilemma.

I've not anything so fancy but if I did choose to light up a piece of art like yours, I'd only smoke it sitting in my lounge chair where if it did fall, it would land on the carpet.

From what I can tell from the pic it's in really good condition.
Although I have a little experience restoring and cleaning estate pipes, no way would I even attempt to clean yours [in case I did something stupid] so would definitely send yours to a professional.

The note suggests it was gifted in 1914. Apart from that I have no idea [at a guess I'd say it was a gift from one friend to another]

Do you mind sharing what a magnificent pipe like that costs?
I bought it years ago from an antique dealer for 105 dollars. A bargain in my book.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I forgot to add that I bought it thinking it was highly sanded briar which is what the antique dealer said as well. I showed pics of it to a highly regarded pipemaker and he is saying meerschaum with a very nice patina. But also that it was a cigar pipe and its missing the bowl he said if you look close at the case it has indents where the bowl would have been. I'm not entirely sure what to think but figured I'd share.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It is a pre-coloured meerschaum pipe, and given the 1914 date, most likely Austrian. There may be further clues inside or printed on the side of the case.
As for the stem - I really can't tell from the one photo you've posted.
I'll defer to the members who have significant collections of antique meers.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
certainly looks like it's for cigars.
How can you tell? I'm a noob so genuinely interested to learn the difference. I have cigar and cigarette holders that I collect as well. But the are usually angled way more than a typical pipe is. Here is an example a friend in Poland found for me.

Attachments

• received_2620514118268447.jpeg
    received_2620514118268447.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
How can you tell? I'm a noob so genuinely interested to learn the difference. I have cigar and cigarette holders that I collect as well. But the are usually angled way more than a typical pipe is. Here is an example a friend in Poland found for me.
Definitely a cheroot holder. You place the butt of the cheroot or thin cigar in the holder or hole. These were very common in the early 1900’s in Germany and Austria. Watch the movie “M” to see one in action.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That one I wouldn't smoke. Looks like fine carving, although I can barely believe the coloration is just Meerschaum darkening -- too even and polished.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yeah to me it looks like a meer with maybe some type of coating. I’ve never seen a non-meer with a leather pouch like that, and to me looks like amber in the stem.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've seen ones that look more like a typical pipe like yours, ones where the cheroot points straight up at the heavens. They are pretty neat though. Personally if I had one and it was intact I'd have to try it at least once with a cheroot. I've always have been super curious how it effects the cigar. I know personally that I used to love cigarette holders (why I got so good at doing a perfect hand rolled cig), I found it had a similar effect as a reverse calabash (or really a filter pipe with no filter or adaptor) does with a pipe. Even if it's the same precise effect on a cigar a cigar is a different enough beast that the gestalt would be different.
def. gestalt just in case you have to ask.