PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gkunkel

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2014
When I fractured my shoulder 3 months ago, I went to Urgent Care to have it checked out when the nurse asked if I smoked, I dreaded what I’d hear next when I told her I smoked a pipe. Instead of admonishing me, she told me she was Cuban and loved the aroma of her uncles’ cigars

Beyond the reaction from others has largely been positive

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Only time I smoked a pipe in public was at this meetup I do every year with guys from this motorcycle forum I am on, and I think without me, the average age is maybe 65 years old. The next youngest of anyone that goes after me is in their 50's maybe? Some of them smoke cigars, some don't.

Only reactions I got were one guy that just likes to sit near me even when I'm smoking cigarettes. He used to be a cigarette smoker, just likes the smell. The other was from another guy's wife, who just commented that what I was smoking smelled a lot better than "what they were smoking last night" (a few were smoking marijuana the night before).

Otherwise, I don't even talk about smoking a pipe when I am out, so almost nobody knows I smoke one other than my family.

Reactions: Scottmi

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
Everybody is surprised to find out that I smoke. I don't hide, but I sure don't advertise that I do it either. Mainly I get tired of the health lectures I get being a physician. Yes, I do know smoking is bad for your health.....:rolleyes:

Nobody ever - not once- has mentioned a positive side of smoking. People with terminal anxiety taking pain pills and benzodiazepines, obese people eating away their stress, alcoholics, various abdominal conditions manifesting from psych stress all sanctimoniously tell me I need to quit immediately and I should know better as a physician. (I get the helmet lectures almost daily as well)

All the neighbors, patients, friends, and even strangers all feel it is perfectly fine to comment and admonish me about something they know very little about. I find that strange, as so many other topics are pure taboo. It leads me to use discretion with smoking, just so I don't have to hear another lecture and be judged in this small community.
Doc, hate to revisit this but it’s worth bringing up. I pose this question to the group:

How many people have seen a single motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatric doctor or other mental health office? I have seen ZERO.

Motorcycle riding is hazardous, an not an insignificant risk but it brings joy and relaxation to people. Keep the psych meds, the fat pills, and the complainers at bay. Live a healthy joyful life, and if that involves a tobacco pipe, then so be it.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Doc, hate to revisit this but it’s worth bringing up. I pose this question to the group:

How many people have seen a single motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatric doctor or other mental health office? I have seen ZERO.

Motorcycle riding is hazardous, an not an insignificant risk but it brings joy and relaxation to people. Keep the psych meds, the fat pills, and the complainers at bay. Live a healthy joyful life, and if that involves a tobacco pipe, then so be it.
Motorcycling is what keeps me sane. It is my passion. My life would not be the same without it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I smoke my pipe(s) almost always in the privacy of home and hidden from neighbours and passer-bys by hedges

Typical reaction from my wife ? A reluctant acceptance that doesn’t stop her from wrinkling her nose 😁
She knows it’s my downtime

Cigars with friends ? Yes

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I smoke a pipe for my own pleasure. I try to respect others and don't seek people to smoke around. If someone wants to go out of their way to express their negative opinion then I just tell them to "Mind your own business." As smokers, if we are curteous, we should not have to put up with some assholes opinion. If they persist, then that person is going to have a REAL problem to contend with. Personally, I don't take harrassment well.

Hank Williams Jr. said it best..... "If you mind your own business then you won't be into mine."

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
He may have been riding a motorcycle, but he surely was not a biker.
I no longer ride, but when I did this was my last bike. I covered about half the U.S. on it. I never considered myself a "biker" ( I shower frequently) and I know all the "Harley Guys" didn't consider me one either. Whereas other bike riders were usually friendly, the Harley guys typically, no so much. puffy

BMW-R-80-RT.jpg

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I no longer ride, but when I did this was my last bike. I covered about half the U.S. on it. I never considered myself a "biker" ( I shower frequently) and I know all the "Harley Guys" didn't consider me one either. Whereas other bike riders were usually friendly, the Harley guys typically, no so much. puffy

View attachment 279174
We are all bikers! Harley guys like to tease, but it ain't serious. I do shower, but know plenty of guys at rally's who obviously don't!

Some Harley guys got attitudes, they are not real bikers either, just wanna be bar hoppers. They eventually find someone to offend and usually sell the bike after they heal up from the beating.

Everyone on two wheels is a brother.

That is a nice setup you got there. I do quite a bit of long distance riding and Iron Butt challenges. The last one beat me and although I got home, the bike didn't. I am looking to buy another before the snow melts and try that ride again. Not going to let it beat me!