Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
A Trucker's Doggerel
Wit' comforts but few, for drink I've forsworn,

In clothes on my back that were yesterday worn,

On wheels eighteen by a wan yellow stripe

Leavin' smoke from a diesel 'n' an old corn cob pipe.
I've traveled this land with the wind at my side,

with the snow in my path, with the sun in my eyes.

With rain, and a glance to a sky I mislike

With a sigh, and a match, and an old corn cob pipe.
Past Iowa farms where my forebears were bred,

By woods, and north lakes where the ships keep their dead,

O'er mountains and rivers, through vineyards full ripe,

With a song to my lips, or an old corncob pipe.
And I dream of a day when the keys hang a hook

In a cottage that's mine by a sea or a brook

With a rocking chair set, when there's nought left to roam,

And my pipe by the hearth in a place to call home.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If that's your writing, elbert, keep it up. I quite like it! It brought images to mind while I was reading it, and has an old time feel to it. Post more if you have them.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
The last time I posted here was about six months ago, when I was laid off from my last job pouring iron at a foundry. Shortly after, I got my CDL and I've been driving truck ever since. :puffy:
I received condolences from many of you that day (and a care package from Neal!) for which I remain grateful. So I thought I'd post a little update; well, I gave up my apartment, I gave away almost all of my possessions to friends or family, saving only some clothes, my camping gear, my pipes and tobacco, and a few books, and took to the road in a big rig. It's been a great ride so far, a lot of ups and downs, and I've seen more than I can say. I don't know how long I'll stay on the road, and I don't know where I'll end up settling down when I'm done (not Iowa...somewhere warm). But it's been a good change thus far.
Well, that's enough from me, I'm off to Salt Lake City! I quoted Robert Burns here the day I was laid off; I wrote the above ditty this morning when I remembered. Cheers to all, from the highways of America!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Drive safe and may the roads be clear in front of you.
Oh, and keep up the writing. Being on the road sounds like it will lend itself to that. And pipe smoking...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Lovely piece, @elbert! Keep em coming. It's great to hear from you again and that you are out there moving and shaking. Keep it up brother.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Thanks guys ;)
And you especially, Neal. Methinks I've still got a tin of yours laid by. Most of my tobacco is tucked away at a friends house back home. :puffy:
I haven't written much in years, mau, but I'm writing a bit again, out here on the road.
-josh

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Very nice Josh. I remember your post about being laid off. Seems like your on the right track. Good for you. Take it easy and drive safe.
@Neal :clap: You're the best!

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
well done !! I like the ditty. be safe out there , my hats off to you driver! .. I'm a day cab driver.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Enjoyed the prose. As a driver myself, I know from which you write. Saw an interview with a driver who moves executives from place tp place. He stated there is a therapeutic aspect to driving in that new vistas can show you a take on life. Hope where you land finds you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.