PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Well not me, but I heard my cousin is taking a trip to Cuba, and I’m hoping he will have room to bring me back a box of cigars. Any recommendation for what brand of cigar he should look for? I was thinking Cohiba and hoping they are cheaper in Cuba. But I bet there are some great obscure cigars there.

Reactions: danimalia
Out of all of the Caribbean, Cuba would be the last place I'd want to visit. Unless I am missing something. It just doesn't sound very romantic or exotic to me. Haiti at least has interesting voodoo stuff, zombies, and interesting fruity drinks on the beach. What's Cuba got besides cigars? because cigars aren't going to interest my wife for very long. Old communists will hold my fascination... nada.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Out of all of the Caribbean, Cuba would be the last place I'd want to visit. Unless I am missing something. It just doesn't sound very romantic or exotic to me. Haiti at least has interesting voodoo stuff, zombies, and interesting fruity drinks on the beach. What's Cuba got besides cigars? because cigars aren't going to interest my wife for very long. Old communists will hold my fascination... nada.
I agree. I prefer Honduran cigars as well.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
My buddy bought a box of Cohiba's from the duty-free store at the airport when he was returning from Cuba. He gave me one. It didn't smell right, so I took a closer look at it. I inspected the tip and noticed something in amongst the tobacco. Using a toothpick, I pried it out. Turns out it was a small piece of dried mud. Yep, mud. Swept up from the floor with the rest of the cuttings used to make the cigar. Counterfeit. He gave me another one of the cigars. Lit it and it tasted like a $5 cigar. Tell your cousin to be very careful about what he buys when he's in Cuba. It might be a good idea to research how to spot a counterfeit Cuban cigar. It's a multi-million dollar industry in Cuba.

Reactions: carcosa and Bengel

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I went to Cuba. It was fucking rad and weird as hell. The people are great, there's music every where you go, they love baseball and cigars and rum. Plus all the other stuff you might expect on a Caribbean island with beaches, etc.

The cigars will be cheaper than anywhere else, but not cheap. If you search online you should be able to find price lists. Personally, I don't find Cohiba to be worth the price premium. I'm partial to Upmann if you're just looking for one marca that is pretty wonderful all the way through. Personally, I'd probably go for the Connoisseur No. 1, the No. 2 Piramide, or hop over to another brand and get Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2s.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I went to Cuba. It was fucking rad and weird as hell. The people are great, there's music every where you go, they love baseball and cigars and rum. Plus all the other stuff you might expect on a Caribbean island with beaches, etc

Fully agree. I've been 3 times, and its the only Caribbean island I'd want to go to.

They have tons of cigars and rum in the airport duty free. But there are tours of cigar factories and stuff too if your cousin is so inclined.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I was lucky enough to visit back in the early 2000s as part of a diplomatic visit. It was everything plus as Mike mentions above. The lack of impact from American tourism companies is what makes it so unique, IMHO. It is authentic in every way. Like stepping back in time. The food, rum, cigars, and so much more to see. And I would add, I never encountered anyone rude but for some young punks that talked too much until others shut them up. IT was cool to visit some of the same haunts as Hemingway but he really is just a footnote to what Cuba has to offer.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lots of old world charm for one thing. Super exotic to us because of our countries political relationship. Lots of beautiful woman. Smoking in public is still highly tolerated. Amazing beaches that haven't quite gotten too crowded to really enjoy. Amazing coffee. And from what I understand they don't yet know how annoying American tourists can be (we get them here, and I suspect many of them only travel because nobody likes them where they come from.).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
He needs to be careful and do some research on where to buy. More counterfeits out there than legit marcas. That being said, Trinidad Fundadores, Ramon Allones Specially Selected, and Boliver Belicosos Finos in that order would be my top 3.

My wife went to Cuba with a college course in 2011 and said it was absolutely incredible.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Trip got postponed, but he will be eventually going, so how much cash should I give him for a box? I imagine prices are slightly cheaper there... I will have him go to a reputable cigar shop in Havana... I saw a list of places there online

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Trip got postponed, but he will be eventually going, so how much cash should I give him for a box? I imagine prices are slightly cheaper there... I will have him go to a reputable cigar shop in Havana... I saw a list of places there online
If you google yul price list there is a blogspot post with the current pricing in CUC which is the convertible peso pegged at the US dollar. If you are paying by CC then add 3% or whatever it is for using the card. Cash will have a fee to exchange, so either way give a but extra.

WLC

Lurker
Mar 29, 2020
Make sure he buys "banded"(name brand) cigars in an official LCDH store. Custom rolls can be had in most hotels and from what I understand are generally quite good. Just don't try backdoor deals for any of the name brands. My favorite Cubans are Partagas D4, Partaga shorts, Vegas Robaina Famosas and Cohiba Robustos.

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
Stick with small corona sized cigars...don't go big. Get two boxes of petite corona and regular corona or lonsdales...Stop this Behike nonsense, don't even go there.

I'd go with Paratagas and Bolivar...at least those two have some semblance of consistency. But you might be astonished to know that Cuba is crap in terms of cigars. They have been eclipsed by expatriots around the world...god bless em the industry of Cuba is a shadow of what it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.