PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six pipes by the carver Mogens Johansen whose workshop is near Frederikshavn, Denmark. His pipe brand is Johs, and he is known for turning out pipes at a frenetic pace. I have a Dublin, Canadian, diplomat, bulldog, Lovat, and a smooth billiard. He goes for volume to keep the prices moderate, and his pipes seem to be unusually lightweight for the chamber sizes which are ample. Since I've had most of these pipes for ten years or more, they have passed the test for reliability and durability, as well as holding up in terms of appearance. There are some nice style touches, like an especially rakish angle on the brim of the Dublin and the larger than average bowl on the bulldog, nothing overt, just artful. Johansen carved pipes for Bjarne Nielsen earlier in his career before going on his own. I see he doesn't have any pipes available on the Al Pascia site, and only a few on the Iwan Ries, so I hope he isn't headed into retirement. I note there are 35 Johs pipes available on SP, so perhaps he's still going full speed. I'm glad I have a good selection of his pipes that have been real work horses and a real pleasure over the years. My hat's off to Mogens Johansen.

Last edited: