PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Greeting and well-wishes, all.

I have recently acquired an unsmoked Dunhill Tanshell, made in 1964.

This is the oldest unsmoked Dunhill I’ve seen in person. What really interested me was the color of the pipe. I always thought that Tanshells started off fairly light in color, and slowly darkened over time. After observing this pipe, it seems clear that that isn’t always the case. That isn’t to say that this pipe is necessarily dark, but it is darker than others I have encountered.

For example, I had a 1961 Liverpool that was a beautiful blonde.

It has been so neat to see the pipe just as it was when it left the factory. Just thought I’d share images of this very cool pipe from the past!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Tanshell is a favorite color. Time and use seem to have change it's nuances, and it is great to see one untouched/blemished. That's the challenge of trying to restore a pipe with that stain - matching!

Reactions: lightmybriar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for clarity with myself, I don't want to own any pipes I don't smoke, but that's just my way of relating to pipes. I think it is a historical service and admirable self-restraint to not smoke your historical collectibles. Another reason I'm not a Dunhill guy. This is, those are, beautiful pipes. The OP is a zulu/yacht, a real classic (right?). I have a Sav and Rossi in that shape, in a throughly classic configuration.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Just for clarity with myself, I don't want to own any pipes I don't smoke, but that's just my way of relating to pipes. I think it is a historical service and admirable self-restraint to not smoke your historical collectibles. Another reason I'm not a Dunhill guy. This is, those are, beautiful pipes. The OP is a zulu/yacht, a real classic (right?). I have a Sav and Rossi in that shape, in a throughly classic configuration.
Dunhill and Chacom Zulus are my personal favorite. Perfect proportioning in my opinion!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nice pipes. Any of my pipes that old were smoked before I acquired them, so I never have had to answer the smoke or not smoke question. Although I lean to the smoke ‘em if you got ‘em camp, I have unsmoked pipes because my smoking rate doesn’t keep up to my purchase rate. That however is not the issue in question here and I do recognize the merit of preserving an old pipe as it came from the factory as smoking will change its condition. No wrong decision, whatever makes the owner happy.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Light, awesome looking Tanshell. I can see where it might be tough to smoke it. My personal rule is I won't buy a pipe I don't plan on smoking.
That’s a great rule, and I usually follow it myself. In this case, it turned up as a surprise to be unsmoked, so I was hit with a situation unprepared haha. Ideally, I think I may end up seeing if there is anyone out there who is seeking an unsmoked Birthyear pipe. I was privileged myself with the very satisfying moment of smoking the first bowl through my Birthyear pipe, and this pipe would be better served in a situation like that, as opposed to being on display in my collection, I think. Lots to decide for me. As for now, I just like looking at it ?

Reactions: Bowie

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It looks like Dunhill dip-stained/s their pipes. My Birthyear Cumberland pipe was the same. Interesting how Peterson gets complaints for that, but I have not yet heard anyone express dislike for this practice on Dunhills.
Don't get me started about Pete bias. :LOL: Do like the look of Dunnie tanshells.

Status
Not open for further replies.