PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
A got a nice surprise the other day, when we went to visit my parents. They had been antiquing in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, and ran across these. Knowing I love green glass, and pipes of course, they bought them. I’ve never had a Tyrolean pipe, or a stand with a tobacco jar for that matter. I’m interested to see how it smokes. Both appear to be from the 60’s to mid 70’s in my opinion. 5901C7BF-315F-4AF6-83AE-63A0031BAC96.jpeg786CDC70-ABBF-499B-BABB-8BD9F6D940CC.jpeg03A00B2A-BD62-4803-8326-AC50A73E38E4.jpeg5201DB5E-CB72-4DF3-B406-BFFCDC43293F.jpeg I just got done cleaning the stand and jar, and cleaned and sanitized the pipe last night.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
A got a nice surprise the other day, when we went to visit my parents. They had been antiquing in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, and ran across these. Knowing I love green glass, and pipes of course, they bought them. I’ve never had a Tyrolean pipe, or a stand with a tobacco jar for that matter. I’m interested to see how it smokes. Both appear to be from the 60’s to mid 70’s in my opinion. View attachment 42394View attachment 42395View attachment 42396View attachment 42397 I just got done cleaning the stand and jar, and cleaned and sanitized the pipe last night.
That’s cool ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A got a nice surprise the other day, when we went to visit my parents. They had been antiquing in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, and ran across these. Knowing I love green glass, and pipes of course, they bought them. I’ve never had a Tyrolean pipe, or a stand with a tobacco jar for that matter. I’m interested to see how it smokes. Both appear to be from the 60’s to mid 70’s in my opinion. View attachment 42394View attachment 42395View attachment 42396View attachment 42397 I just got done cleaning the stand and jar, and cleaned and sanitized the pipe last night.
love that pipe. Honestly don't leave it unattended cause someone would have to rescue it. Beautiful pipe, love that style of pipe. I hope it's a great smoker. That said when I saw the title of this thread I thought someone is getting a brother.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
A bit small for a tylorian, and the bowl isn't removable, I'd say more cavelier. Is the end cap removable? Very lovely pieces.?
Tyrolean just refers to the region (Germany/Austria), which was once referred to as Tyrol. Jaeger (hunter) pipes are the ones with removable bowls. This type of pipe is actually what the Cavalier shape was modeled after.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That was thoughtful and generous of your parents to keep you in mind and to pick those up for you puffy

Those pipe stands with the built-in jar are from such a different era where a man had “his” blend and maybe a handful of pipes. Today we value having an array of tobacco blends and a collection of pipes, whereas back then it was all about having your signature blend and a few pipes to smoke it with. I prefer today’s variety, but have got to appreciate the beauty of the six pipe, one blend rotation.

It’s much the same with spirits enthusiasts. Today, it’s all about trying many different bourbons, scotches, or rums, but back in the day it was all about having one signature drink. A sophisticated man might prefer a martini, a man’s man a bourbon on the rocks, and so on. At least I think that’s how they viewed their “signature” drinks and smokes back then. It’s an interesting distinction from how it’s done today.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That was thoughtful and generous of your parents to keep you in mind and to pick those up for you puffy

Those pipe stands with the built-in jar are from such a different era where a man had “his” blend and maybe a handful of pipes. Today we value having an array of tobacco blends and a collection of pipes, whereas back then it was all about having your signature blend and a few pipes to smoke it with. I prefer today’s variety, but have got to appreciate the beauty of the six pipe, one blend rotation.

It’s much the same with spirits enthusiasts. Today, it’s all about trying many different bourbons, scotches, or rums, but back in the day it was all about having one signature drink. A sophisticated man might prefer a martini, a man’s man a bourbon on the rocks, and so on. At least I think that’s how they viewed their “signature” drinks and smokes back then. It’s an interesting distinction from how it’s done today.
My thoughts as well. My Uncle Terry is still that way. He never has more than two pipes at any one time, only smokes Carter Hall, and his drink of choice is Black Velvet (?). He’s had the same haircut/beard since I can remember. He’s had the same 1968 Harley since the early 80’s. He traded a 1960 Panhead Harley (that he got from my Dad) for it. He’s about as old school as it gets.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Does the glass jar have a humidifying or clay disk under the lid? The one I have had this and works perfectly to keep my tobacco at just the right moisture level.

Reactions: petes03