PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Ok so I got a 250g of SG Kendal Mayor's Chocolate Flake. It comes in a ziplock bag inside a carboard box wrapped in cellophane, and it even says on the box words to the effect it tends to dry out after a while. Well I had the box on a shelf for several months, but it was still pretty soggy when I opened it. Maybe sticky or oily is a better word. Anyway I spread it out on a baking sheet and left it in my study for 3 (yes three) days and it's still the same moisture, near as I can tell. Now I've smoked this and it doesn't taste like it has PG, but wtf, how long does this stuff have to sit to dry out a little? The house is about 60% avg humidity. Other things dry out if left in the open.
Unfortunately, putting tobacco in the oven or toaster oven or microwave is not an option in my house due to overwhelming spousal disapproval :D

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Set it on top of paper towels, and if you have a hair dryer handy, I've heard that can aid in the process.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Unfortunately, putting tobacco in the oven or toaster oven or microwave is not an option in my house due to overwhelming spousal disapproval
That's sad.
Anyway, the paper towel works better under a desk lamp or heat lamp, as the hairdryer may blow away your tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
60% is just below the optimum of 62-65% for smoking pipe tobacco. Don't be in a hurry, slow drying is better than fast. Be sure to keep turning the tobacco to ensure even drying.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've heard people talk about letting it sit a half hour or hour before smoking, but sheesh, I've had this stuff laying out 72 hours and I really can't feel where it's dried any at all, and it still goes out a couple seconds after it's lit. The way I've always smoked this one is to give it the char and real lights, tamp and let it sit in the pipe an hour before relighting. I'm just looking for a way to dry it to smokable, then jar it, so when I want to smoke it it's good to go.
I did have it on folded paper toweling. Don't have an incandescent desk lamp or a heat lamp, but the hairdryer sounds like a possibility. Not really worried about it blowing away, it's in about 2x6x1/16" slices.

Dec 28, 2015
I know you said it's not an option but I usually put a single flake of mayors chocolate flake on a saucer and microwave for 10 seconds. I swear it smells like baked brownies when I take it out. It really smells good enough to eat. And yeah 30 minutes of air drying doesn't affect SG flakes at all. Even after several hours it is usually to wet for me to smoke.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Dry times are one of the great things about living in a high desert. Our humidity hovers around 10% most of the year so you can dry out your tobacco in no time at all.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Wow, I've never had it take more than an hour, maybe 90 min. I do live in a drier area, but that seems excessive. Good luck getting it smokable

Status
Not open for further replies.