PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
It was a soggy day in Wisconsin today. I went to the shop first thing this morning so I could have them service my truck right away. I had hoped it would be in and out again before Noon.
Yeah, right.
While I was waiting for my truck dispatch asked me to deliver a load sitting on the yard to a customer a couple of miles away. I looked outside. It was pouring rain. I sighed, said ok, and zipped up my rain gear.
I have to hand it to Goretex, that is some good stuff. Despite that fact that the rain was coming down in sheets I remained dry inside my suit. Now if I could just find some work gloves that work like that.
I delivered that load and returned to the yard. My truck was still in the shop. The routine service had turned into a major project with new steer tires (I thought the old ones had a few thousand miles left on them), and a fulll alignment.
The alignment turned into a problem and they just couldn't get it to hold. I am guessing worn bushings. I will run it this way and they will have me put it into a heavy trucck alignment shop when I get back again.
I am now on my way to an Air Force Base in Florida with an Air Crash Rescue Truck, which is basically a specialized fire truck. I loaded and chained it in the pouring rain. It finallyt stopped raining just after I finished. Isn't that always the way?
I brought it down to near the Illinois line where I will now spend the night. No way I could make it to a truckstop in IL before the sun goes down and I can't run with an oversized load after dark.
Well, at least the new rain suit did it's job. At the time I thought it was outrageously expensive, but now that I have actually used it in heavy rain I would say it was worth every penny.
Now for a beer.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
We've had a lot of rain in these parts in the last few days.The ground is pretty soggy.Too wet to plow as the old farmers say.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks, gents.
Arthur: The crash truck came out of Appleton, but was already on the yard waiting for me. I delivered it today and am now on my way to Ohio with a crane. Overweight load but at least it isn't wide or tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.