PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
It's been raining here in South Korea for the last few days. My wife said to me "It's impossible to smoke outside. It's raining and it's windy!" I told her "Watch me." I did manage to smoke my pipe under the eave of my apartment building but it wasn't pleasant. I came back inside and I immediately said "You know, you were right, smoking in this weather is not very fun, you should let me smoke in the outside room (Patio).

She gave me that "I really don't want you to but I love you" look; said as long as I use the fan after I smoke to blow the smell out the window and that there are no clothes drying to absorb the smell.

Small win and small compromises.

I'm going to slowly ease myself into smoking here every night until it doesn't become just "a weather thing". Mind you, I've been living in this apartment for close to 3 years now and just now have thought of this.

I'll be smoking some Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry to initiate Phase 1.

Also, I expect some of you to chime in with the "I don't have a wife so I don't have this problem." or "I do what I want because it's my house." Add your variation of these messages. Roast me.

Last edited:

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Nice! Compromise like that is the way it goes. When we finally built our place after living in a small house, I designed my study to be a smoking room with seals around the door, separate AC, and a blower for the smoke. I fantasized about it for years while smoking in the garage during the winter lol.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
20200701_221023.jpg

The previous owner of our house was a cigarette smoker, and he had installed an exhaust fan in a basement room that was his TV room. He only smoked in there or the upstairs bathroom. It's right above my desk in what is now my office/den/library/weight room. It's the same as a powerful bathroom stinkfan. Vents directly outside, works great. Room doesn't stink the next morning as long as I leave it running for about 15-20 mins after I smoke. I did the outdoor smoking in the shed bit for a while, but two winters ago it was below -30° one night and I decided I had enough of that, so the next day I built a desk and made this room my personal space instead of a storage room. Since my wife noticed it didn't stink up the rest of the house she was fine with it.

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
A big win I would say!

My wife does not like the smell of any tobacco at all, so I have a nice little spot at the bottom of the garden and to be honest I enjoy my pipe more knowing that its not annoying anybody, I dont like ruffling peoples feathers!

I even find myself a little self conscious in certain close-quater outdoor public areas, like pub beer gardens, if they're a little too crowded.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
No roasting from me. Mutual respect and accommodation are important in a relationship, and she's entitled to not like smoke. Good on her for giving you a break and good on you for working with her on it and being respectful.

Personally, I smoke so much that someone who despised smoke just wouldn't be a good match for me. But depending on how special the girl was :LOL: , I could see myself accommodating one who didn't like smoke, but tolerated it with limitations.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Nice win... communication and compromise. It is the back porch and garage for me. A mini-split AC for garage with some finishing work is a planned retirement gift to me her. We both agree it will help keep me out from underfoot.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
No roasting from me. Mutual respect and accommodation are important in a relationship, and she's entitled to not like smoke. Good on her for giving you a break and good on you for working with her on it and being respectful.

Personally, I smoke so much that someone who despised smoke just wouldn't be a good match for me. But depending on how special the girl was :LOL: , I could see myself accommodating one who didn't like smoke, but tolerated it with limitations.
She seems receptive of it. She went out the take a smell a few hours after I was done and didn't say anything, so it's a good sign.

Reactions: danimalia