A Sight To Bring Tears To The Eyes: 45,000 Barrels Of Bourbon Wasted!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Don’t know that I’d agree its as broad a field as scotch, many more distilleries in scotland, not to mention regional differences in peat levels, sherry/madeira/port/bourbon barrel aging, 6-50 year age statements, and strengths all over the map. Not to mention the subtle geographic differences in the peat itself, highland park’s heathery (and heavenly) peat flavor being a prime example.
I love good bourbon (anything woodford, elmer lee, willet pot still, blantons, elijah craig, stagg, orphan barrel, dare I say pappy van winkle, and many more) but the world of scotch offers much more variety for each persons palate, from unpeated madeira barrel aged 25 year offerings to 200ppm peat bourbon barrel aged 6 years, lowland to islay, and everything in between. And generally just far more options of each.
Bourbon is certainly an underrated and underappreciated spirit though, thats for sure. My first love in the spirit world.
And workman, your palate is spot on, cheap bourbon, irish, and rye whiskey are fine. Cheap scotch is HORRIBLE.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...not to mention regional differences in peat levels, sherry/madeira/port/bourbon barrel aging, 6-50 year age statements... "
Alaskanpiper, you may not be aware but age statements on bottles of scotch were done away with quite some while ago!
Why? I have no idea but to me not a wise move.
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskanpiper, you may not be aware but age statements on bottles of scotch were done away with quite some while ago!
Umm, what? Don’t know where you are buying your scotch but age statements are alive and well. The vast majority of single malts still proudly display 12, 18, 25 etc. on their label from pretty much every distillery in Scotland. At least the bottles we buy in the U.S. do. The occasional offering from some distilleries (talisker storm, macallan no.x series, etc.) don’t but far and away most scotches still have age statements on the label.
Maybe we have different definitions of what an age statement is, but if we are talking about the same thing then you are most definitely mistaken.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For your perusal Alaskanpiper.....
https://flaviar.com/blog/no-age-statement-scotch-whisky
....and....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/whisky/forget-about-old-single-malts---give-no-age-statement-nas-whisky/
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you may not be aware but age statements on bottles of scotch were done away with quite some while ago!
I bought this last weekend for the Independence Day cookout.
20190706_151244.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Duane, with all due respect old stock is still available but the quantity is rapidly diminishing.
My sister bought me a Jura Islay Malt last birthday and it had no age on it. Other bottles she has bought me on my previous birthdays of the same were 10 years old, this last bottle had nothing.
Read the two links, it's all in there.....I kid you not!
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I read both, but like anything else I read on the internet, I have to see it before I believe it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how much Jim Beam exports, but the devilish thought crossed my mind that maybe the tariffs on bourbon had prompted an effort to collect on a warehouse full another way. I'm sure the fire and insurance inspectors will comb the ashes and confirm that it was a lightning strike. I grew up near Chicago, and everything is suspicious.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
For your perusal Alaskanpiper.....
https://flaviar.com/blog/no-age-statement-scotch-whisky
....and....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/whisky/forget-about-old-single-malts---give-no-age-statement-nas-whisky/
Okay, I see what has happened here. You have either misunderstood the articles you read, or you misspoke in your initial statement. As the articles you posted state, and as I stated in my above post, there are offerings from some distilleries that do not carry an age statement, and these are commonly referred to as "No Age Statement" or NAS whiskies. But your statement that "age statements on bottles of scotch were done away with quite some while ago!" is wholly inaccurate and wildly misleading.
If you read the articles you posted again more carefully, you will see that what they are saying is that NAS scotch whiskies are becoming more common, which is undoubtedly true, however the VAST MAJORITY of flagship single malt scotches, and the vast majority of the countries most famous brands still (and will likely always) carry an age statement proudly displayed on the label.
Macallan 12, 18, and 25 will still be just that, even though they offer their No. series. Oban 14 and 18 will still be just that, even though they offer the NAS "little bay", Talisker 10, 18, and 25 will remain just that, even though they offer Talisker Storm, and Laphraoig 10, 18, etc. will still be just that even though they offer quarter cask and three wood..........and Duane's above posted Glenfiddich 12, as well as their 15 and 18, will stay just that, despite their NAS offerings as well, I could go on all day but it would get redundant.
Anyway, I'm glad we cleared this up, as I thought you were completely insane. Looks like you just skimmed too quickly, or misspoke in your initial post.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I agree with Alaskanpiper. I'll add that the scenario described in the articles is likely to increase prices on aged single malts. Supply and demand.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would stress one last thing that I don't want to get lost in all of this, and that is that some NAS whiskies are truly fantastic offerings. I really like Talisker Storm, Oban Little Bay, Auchentoshan Three Wood, the Dalmore Cigar malt, Aberlour A'bunadh, Jura Superstition, and many many more. NAS whiskies have been around for a while and have definitely led to more creativity from the distillers, which I think is a very positive thing, even if it does slightly increase the price of the usual age carrying single malts a tad.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Apparently they make great whiskeys in Japan now. I have not been nerdy enough to check any of them out, as they are very expensive here, but there certainly is some innovation in the field.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Apparently they make great whiskeys in Japan now.
They do! Most of them are a lot like unpeated scotch whiskey, and they are typically very mildly flavored, easy to drink, and smooth bright whiskeys. They are certainly a little pricey, but there are some reasonably priced ones that can be found out there HIbiki, Yamazaki, and Nikka come to mind. Their baseline offerings on on par price-wise with your average 12 year, although that may not be the case where you are (I'm not sure where you live?)
I'd suggest giving them a shot if you get the chance though. If you like very mildly peated scotch (speysides or lowlands) or irish whiskeys, then japanese whiskey will likely be right up your alley.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm in the Faroe Islands. I like all good whiskeys. When I was younger, I fell for the strong peat flavors. Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc. Lately I'm leaning more towards sherry or madeira cask offerings from Glenmorangie and Glenkinchie. It's a journey, much like pipe tobacco.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Whoa! I've always wanted to visit the Faroe islands. Having spent so much time in Prudhoe Bay, particularly Northstar Island, I have somewhat of a passion for "ends of the earth" isolated locales. Glenkinchie is an absolutely awesome lowland whiskey, particularly their barrel aged distillers edition. If you like them give Auchentoshan whiskies a try if you haven't already. Their three wood is a classic lowland, and if you want to splurge, their 21 year is one of the most affordable whiskies with a 20+ age statement available.
Port Dundas 18 single grain is another whiskey with a similar profile. You may also like Craigellechie, Tomatin, Dalwhinnie distillers edition (or the regular 15 year) and some of the lower peated Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain offerings. You may have had many of those already, but they all gave similar profiles.
If you like the heavily sherried stuff, then obviously Macallan and Balvenie tend to be the most readily available, but Aberlour is my favorite speyside for heavily sherried offerings. Their 16 year is usually a bargain, and their cask strength abunadh is a beast, usually coming in around 60% abv, but it has the richest sherry flavor of any scotch I have tried. Aside from that the Dalmore is a great sherry heavy distillery, particularly their 15 year and cigar malt. Also, to mix it up there is an irish whiskey called the Tyrconnell. Their flagship offering isn't great, but their sherry and madeira barrel aged offerings (slightly more pricey at $70) are excellent whiskeys.
And yes, it is certainly a journey, one that can suck time and money just as quickly as pipe tobacco or any other pleasurable indulgence.
Are you able to order whiskey online and have it shipped to you?

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Jim Beam is not good bourbon, but I sure have put away lots of it over the years. It goes well with a chaser...
Anywho Jim Beam Black is pretty good, I think. I used to buy Jim Beam Rye when it was 10 bucks a bottle. Now that hipsters like rye it's become $20/bottle and not worth it.
frozenchurchwarden: Try McClelland's Islay. it's supposed to be 5ish yr. old Bowmore. People online like to hate on it, but I think it's not bad and it only costs about $20.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Laphroaig scotch is the only scotch I truly detest. To me (and many others it seems) it tasted chemical-like though I'm not for one moment suggesting it contains any such.
I think the best malt I ever had was Cardhu 15 year old, now that was a cracker!
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.